PDA

View Full Version : Buffing pads for GG 6" Polisher?

rjgervacio
04-15-2011, 12:41 PM
I need some help determining what buffer pads can be used with the GG 6" Polisher. I realized that GG has its own line buffers, but I was wondering if I can also use other brands like, Lake Country.

Also, since the GG Polisher already comes with a 6" backing plate by default, does that mean I need to purchase a 6.5" buffers? I believe I read somewhere in the forum that the buffer needs to be a little bigger than the backing plate.

Lastly, using the same polisher, can I purchase a 3" backing plate with it?

rweekley
04-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I need some help determining what buffer pads can be used with the GG 6" Polisher. I realized that GG has its own line buffers, but I was wondering if I can also use other brands like, Lake Country.

Also, since the GG Polisher already comes with a 6" backing plate by default, does that mean I need to purchase a 6.5" buffers? I believe I read somewhere in the forum that the buffer needs to be a little bigger than the backing plate.

Lastly, using the same polisher, can I purchase a 3" backing plate with it?

Yes, you will have to use the 6.5" pads, if you want to use the 6" backing plate.

I got the GG DA Polisher last year and figured since it came with a 6" backing plate, I would just get the 6.5" pads. After doing more reading on here, alot of people recommended getting a smaller backing plate, the 5" one and 5.5" pads, so that is what is switched to this year. As the pads are a little smaller, it takes a little more time, but I noticed where the 5.5" pads seemed to work better at correcting paint defects.

And yes, you can use a 3.5" backing plate on the GG with 4" pads.

Good luck, I love mine.

I'm also sure others will chime in:dblthumb2:

rweekley
04-15-2011, 01:07 PM
And pad type, seems more like personal preference. I use the Lake Country Flat pads, but there are other types out there.

Foam & Wool Buffing Pads for Dual Action, Rotary/Circular Polishers and Cyclo Orbital Polishers. (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-polishing-pads.html)

rjgervacio
04-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes, you will have to use the 6.5" pads, if you want to use the 6" backing plate.

I got the GG DA Polisher last year and figured since it came with a 6" backing plate, I would just get the 6.5" pads. After doing more reading on here, alot of people recommended getting a smaller backing plate, the 5" one and 5.5" pads, so that is what is switched to this year. As the pads are a little smaller, it takes a little more time, but I noticed where the 5.5" pads seemed to work better at correcting paint defects.

And yes, you can use a 3.5" backing plate on the GG with 4" pads.

Good luck, I love mine.

I'm also sure others will chime in:dblthumb2:

Thanks for the tip!

I'll make use of the 6" backing plate for now and see what it has to offer. I can always get myself the different sizes later on.

rjgervacio
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
And pad type, seems more like personal preference. I use the Lake Country Flat pads, but there are other types out there.

Foam & Wool Buffing Pads for Dual Action, Rotary/Circular Polishers and Cyclo Orbital Polishers. (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-polishing-pads.html)

Gotcha!

Also, is the color coding of buffer pads universal for all brands? What are the most essential buffer pads to get if let's say I can only buy 3 different ones?

rweekley
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
No, the colors are not universal.

Here is a chart/link of most aggressive to least aggressive pads for Lake Country.

Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buffing-pad-chart-lc.htm)

Here is another link for a bunch of charts that compares compounds, pads and such too!

Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum - Charts (http://www.autogeekonline.net/index.php?pageid=Charts)

I'm just a weekend detailer, so the only pads I have are the Lake Country Flat Pads: (4) Orange, (4) White and (2) Gray.

As everyone always told me, do a test spot to dial in you methodand use the least aggressive method, which means use the least aggressive compound and least aggressive pad, in order to get the results you want.

Good Luck and ask any questions:buffing: Everyone here is really helpful:props:

Flash Gordon
04-15-2011, 01:50 PM
If you don't feel like buying another BP, the two (cutting/polishing pads) Griots has to offer actually aren't to shabby

I would add 2-4 6.5" Surbufs for the tuff stuff

Rei86
04-15-2011, 05:22 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/21155-pad-comparison-chart.html

Check that thread also.

Old Tiger
04-15-2011, 07:35 PM
I recommend the Megs DA MF system. Made for new machine users and pros alike. Cuts like a rotary.

Flash Gordon
04-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I recommend the Megs DA MF system. Made for new machine users and pros alike. Cuts like a rotary.

They don't cut as well as Surbufs, and neither cuts as well as a rotary ;)

rjgervacio
04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
If you don't feel like buying another BP, the two (cutting/polishing pads) Griots has to offer actually aren't to shabby

I would add 2-4 6.5" Surbufs for the tuff stuff

Thanks! I'll do a lil bit of computation and see where I can get the most out of my money.