PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Canada

Pages : [1] 2

maluminas
04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi people!

I'm new here, looking to learn from all the knowledgable people! My name is Philippe from Montreal, Canada. We have pretty harsh winters here and my one year old Kia Forte EX sedan (spicy red) looks like crap from all the salt, flying road abrasives and brushing snow off of it. As a one year anniversary treatment i decided i should make her shiny again (and keep her that way), and was lucky enough to stumble upon this forum and discover the world of car detailing. I'm a perfectionist so this certainly is something i would enjoy doing! I've been reading and teaching myself all about detailing in the last few weeks and i am eager to lay the pad on the paint...

The only car care i've done in the past is some basic wash 'n dry, so i have no experience beyond that and no equipment or products. I have been shopping at eShine.ca, throwing all i want in the cart and the bill is ridiculously high right now, so as i refine my plan of action i will do another post asking for advice to reduce cost and maximize results!

People around me know that when i set my mind on doing something i usually get very good results, so i already have a few orders from family members lol... Of course these are all daily drivers, i wouldn't dare touch anything else for now, and i will not touch any car other than mine before i am satisfied with my skill level.

I'm probably the only guy who will be buffing a Kia to a show car finish... lol

Philippe

FUNX650
04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi and :welcome: to the forum. Maybe you guys from Canada can get together and find less expensive shipping methods to obtain supplies/products from AutoGeek? Just a thought.

maluminas
04-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I'd like to buy from AG, they have superior choice and i hear only good things, but i'm deathly scared of customs fees, i've had some bad experiences with non-car-care related products in the past.

I'm doing this for myself, so i don't think i could be part of a group-buy because i will buy small quantities.

If anyone from canada tells me they've never had problems i will gladly purchase from AG.

Philippe

BobbyG
04-15-2011, 12:59 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!! :props:

Meghan
04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
:caflag:

Mike Phillips
04-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Philippe

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

maluminas
04-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Ah the great Mike! I love your articles, i'm basically reading all of them lol :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
04-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Ah the great Mike! I love your articles, i'm basically reading all of them lol :xyxthumbs:

Thank you for the kind words...

I meant to update my article list, I think I have 20 -30 written that are not on the main list...

I have product testing tomorrow, (Saturday), maybe I can get to it after that unless I go ocean lap swimming in Jupiter...

This is where I was working out last Sunday... I do laps adjacent to the shoreline from about where this picture was taken to the pier...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/JupiterBeach01.jpg

Good workout...

:)

NG008
04-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Philippe

I too am from Canada... been ordering from AG for 8 mos now. Spent a small fortune on stuff. No worries about customs. If it is a small amount <$50 they usually ship right through. On larger orders "SALES" taxes are collected + $5 for Canada post to clear the products through customs. Shipping can get expensive though but so is gas. The great people and service at AG makes up for the added expense. Also, the wonderful Meghan will entice you with AG's bi-weekly specials where excellent products are offered at BOGO. You will become addicted like the rest in no time. Welcome to AG.

maluminas
04-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks NG008,

I actually spent the evening filling up my cart at AG and i'm amazed that the generally lower prices and occasional sales at AG might actually cancel out the shipping cost (compared to buying everything in Canada with free shipping, since everything here is slightly more expensive). And i have the added benefit of actually having access to everything i need!

Are you aware of certain "problem" products that might get my packages stuck at customs or cause additional fees? If there are i will get these in Canada.

I will buy my polisher in Canada for guarantee reasons.

Philippe

maluminas
04-18-2011, 09:27 AM
So i placed my orders yesterday. Two thirds from AG and one third from Canada. Can't wait to get my stuff! Im the MAN

Mike Phillips
04-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Can't wait to get my stuff! Im the MAN

A-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n.....

:D

maluminas
04-18-2011, 11:36 AM
A-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n.....

:D

Indeed! Unfortunately it looks like it's gonna be raining during the Easter holiday, that's when i was planning to get started. I have to work outside. I can't even do my summer wheels inside because i heard IronX stinks real bad? Oh well... lol

watson1000
04-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Maluminas ,let me know how you make out getting your products through customs ,I haven't ordered anything yet but soon.

Glenn
Fredericton,NB

maluminas
05-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Reviving an old thread for an update, i finally received my order. It was over 500$ and came in two packages (because i ordered buckets) and the additional cost at delivery was just under $37. This is very reasonable, far from the $100-150 i was dreading lol...

I already have another order on the way :P

Oh and the customer service really is as good as its reputation :props: