PDA

View Full Version : Product and Detailing Questions

Swimmer
04-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Looking for a few words of wisdom before before I take the plunge and buy a DA polisher and associated assessories.

Feed back please

1 - How much need is there for a machine polisher pad cleaner and conditioner? Some kits have it and others don't.

2 - Thoughts on applying a final wax using collinite liquied insulator wax #845. Reads pretty good and price is right. Was going to purchase the Wolfgang Total Swirl Removal and use it over their sealant,

3 - What detailer's tool bag will the Flex xc3401 DA fit inside? The Autogeek bag looks great, but I've heard the Flex DA will not fit. That leaves the Flex bag which doesn't have all the side pockets to hold polishes, liquid waxes, etc. - i.e., it's not well organized leaving one to guess you just throw everything inside the bag and hope you can find it later.

4 - Any problems using a machine polisher over a car's pin stripping (tapped on)? I'm concerned about the polisher taking it off. Maybe only using sealant and wax vs. something more aggressive, or just using hand polishing.

Appreciate any help and naturally depending on answers, I'll probably have more questions.

Thanks, Swimmer

john b
04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
call dwayne about the bag ,i am sure he can find out

Swimmer
04-14-2011, 04:49 PM
One more question - do you apply wax over a sealant, or do you use only a sealant or the wax?

rott3np3anut
04-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Looking for a few words of wisdom before before I take the plunge and buy a DA polisher and associated assessories.

Feed back please

1 - How much need is there for a machine polisher pad cleaner and conditioner? Some kits have it and others don't.

2 - Thoughts on applying a final wax using collinite liquied insulator wax #845. Reads pretty good and price is right. Was going to purchase the Wolfgang Total Swirl Removal and use it over their sealant,

3 - What detailer's tool bag will the Flex xc3401 DA fit inside? The Autogeek bag looks great, but I've heard the Flex DA will not fit. That leaves the Flex bag which doesn't have all the side pockets to hold polishes, liquid waxes, etc. - i.e., it's not well organized leaving one to guess you just throw everything inside the bag and hope you can find it later.

4 - Any problems using a machine polisher over a car's pin stripping (tapped on)? I'm concerned about the polisher taking it off. Maybe only using sealant and wax vs. something more aggressive, or just using hand polishing.

Appreciate any help and naturally depending on answers, I'll probably have more questions.

Thanks, Swimmer

1. I've only done polishing on my test hood so far, but I've been able to clean them just fine with water and soup, not a dedicated pad cleaner. I'm sure it makes it easier though. You can use whatever product you're polishing with to prime the pad. So both things are nice, but probably not completely necessary.

2. 845 is a good LSP, especially if you're on a budget. It's is cheap, durable and looks pretty good! Depending on how much you want to spend, there are better looking waxes, but few can beat 845's durability. And you mention using Wolfgang TSR over their sealant? The TSR is used to get rid of the swirls, then the sealant goes on afterwards to protect the finish. Many people also use Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze after the TSR to refine the finish more, then the sealant goes last. It's a common combo, but definitely sealant after TSR, not the other way.

I don't have experience with 3 or 4.

One more question - do you apply wax over a sealant, or do you use only a sealant or the wax?

You can do one or the other, or both. If you do both, it's sealant first, then wax over the sealant.

Swimmer
04-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Rott3np3anut, your're right. Meant to say sealant over TSR. And I too have a Honda. In fact, I have 3 (was 4 until last August). Which means I have a lot of polishing and waxing to do.

What are your thoughts on Wolfgang vs. Pinnacle products?

Thanks for responding.