PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded Road Paint

MrHandWash
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I researched topics on this and didn't really find anything.

I've yet to hear of a product that clears this issue up. I can get everything off a cars coat but yellow/white road paint on new roads. Does this come down to feathersanding? Can I use a plastic razor and knock most of it off?

What's the least abbrassive (if there is one) method for dealing with this. At my detail shop, my boss always tells us to tell customers we have no way of dealing with it. (He doesn't allow us to use anything that removes CC layers, so... I got nothin) :/

Haven't tried it yet, tempted to rip a panel off a car that has this at a junk yard and experiment. I've always been told by body shops that it has to be sanded, and re-coated... which is just ridiculously expensive.

MI Mike
04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Not sure which state your located, but in Michigan the paint is done by an independant contractor. They have insurance as part of the contract with the state. If you have insurance, check there first for coverage. If not contact the body shop, ask them if the state because of the damage is liable. When this happened to me they took care of the work and billed the state. They had to repaint the entire side from the drivers door back.

Streetlife
04-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Not sure which state your located, but in Michigan the paint is done by an independant contractor. They have insurance as part of the contract with the state. If you have insurance, check there first for coverage. If not contact the body shop, ask them if the state because of the damage is liable. When this happened to me they took care of the work and billed the state. They had to repaint the entire side from the drivers door back.

That's what i would do first, sounds like a poor job done by the contractor.

richy
04-14-2011, 04:31 PM
The key is to get to it quickly. HERE (http://www.live2detail.com/showthread.php?t=991) is a link where I did one that was just nasty and had been on there for more than a month! Good luck.

watson1000
04-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I have used acetone to remove it before , it works but you must be careful not to scrub it to hard .The acetone breaks down most of it, then when there is only small spots left you can clay it off.This will tak awhile to do so don't rush the process.

Glenn

MrHandWash
04-15-2011, 07:28 AM
So... it is possible, neat :xyxthumbs: Just have to re-wash those areas and compund filler it if I mar it. Nice article, thanks for the feed back.

watson1000
04-15-2011, 10:15 AM
So... it is possible, neat :xyxthumbs: Just have to re-wash those areas and compund filler it if I mar it. Nice article, thanks for the feed back.

Yes it is ,but keep in mind I have not tried this is the last few years on the newer paints,when I did this it was probably 15 years ago on North American cars with clear coat paint.

Glenn

CharlieU
04-16-2011, 06:16 AM
I use a product called Lanka. It's actually made to level out touch-up paint that you dab into scratches and chips in your paint. It doesn't harm the OEM paint. Always test before using of course. I used it on a used car I purchased, so no telling how long the paint had been on it. It cleaned the rocker panels perfectly.

master detailer
04-16-2011, 07:33 AM
I have used acetone to remove it before , it works but you must be careful not to scrub it to hard .The acetone breaks down most of it, then when there is only small spots left you can clay it off.This will tak awhile to do so don't rush the process.

Glenn this is the best way and have done it on lots of high end cars 100,000 plus cars just wash with h20 every 30 sec. and start over till its gone then wash agian

Ron Atchison
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
My wife ran through road paint with our Honda van. After doing a bit of research I found that most counties will post what type of paint they use and recommendations for removing it. Luckily for me they used a latex base paint heated to I think 160 degrees so it dries fast. The counties site recommended hot water and amonia. Sure enough it all came off with a pressure washer using hot water straight from the water heater and amonia in a bucket of warm water. Granted this was the next day after driving through it I was able to get it off of everything even the undercarriage.

Urweak
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Acetone, Thinner, whatever you got to remove paint with works. You just have to be really careful so you dont remove the cars paint with the road paint. Platic blade to scrap it off with, then just clay the rest. For the inner fender, I just hit that with black spray paint.