PDA

View Full Version : Trim paint failure, suggestions?

AlexC
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Just shot these pics real quick with my phone, not sure how to go about fixing this. What kinda paint would i use, plain old Krylon from walmart? My dad said sand it all the rest of the way off and leave it chrome haha, not for me.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm139/AJChambers91/IMAG0213.jpg

A little closer up:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm139/AJChambers91/IMAG0212.jpg

BobbyG
04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
You could go through the expense of having all the trim molding replaced or mask it off and then get a spray can of mat-black paint and spray it yourself.

Tape off the molding
Clean with mineral spirits
Sand with 320 paper
Clean with alcohol
Spray 3 even coats of paint

AlexC
04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
:thankyousign:

Wow great advice there, thanks! Do you think I'd be able to use something such as UTTG on it afterwards?

roguish-desires
04-13-2011, 12:32 PM
You could go through the expense of having all the trim molding replaced or mask it off and then get a spray can of mat-black paint and spray it yourself.

Tape off the molding
Clean with mineral spirits
Sand with 320 paper
Clean with alcohol
Spray 3 even coats of paint

:iagree:

I did the same on a 97 Dodge Stratus. I switched to a semi-gloss so future cleaning and waxing wouldn't leave white or faded look. In hindsite, the semi-gloss was more like the factory look anyway.

AlexC
04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
:iagree:

I did the same on a 97 Dodge Stratus. I switched to a semi-gloss so future cleaning and waxing wouldn't leave white or faded look. In hindsite, the semi-gloss was more like the factory look anyway.

Haha hey well guess what, I'm doing this on a 99 Intrepid! Not sure now if all trim does this or if Dodge is to blame. I'll consider the semi-gloss too then, i might not even have to worry about UTTG that way! Thanks for your input

BobbyG
04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Alex,

You must decide what the final finish should look like; Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Mat-Black, or Flat Black. Take your time and don't rush. The final results are dependent on your prep work prior to painting. :props:

what you will have is some of the moldings will look better than new and some will look aged............unless of course you do the entire car!

Take a few photos along the way to illustrate the steps you took and of course.........the finished product! :props:

AlexC
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Oh believe me, I'm gonna do exactly as you said! Again, i really appreciate your feedback :)

I'll probably get back to y'all tomorrow with the results.

roguish-desires
04-13-2011, 01:47 PM
LOL, I definitely think it is a Dodge thing! Unfortunately you will still need the UTTG as the rubber seals are gonna show real bad once you've touched up the paint!

The trim around the door windows on the 97 I did were also severly weatered and they had an irridescent gas on water look to them. They cleaned up pretty easy but didn't stay that way until I sealed them wuth UPP.

buddhadog
04-14-2011, 02:09 AM
I would use an etching primer before painting to get better adhesion.

Da Fats
04-14-2011, 03:12 AM
Would G-techniq's g4? Trim treatment work here? It did wonders for my tacoma trim.... made pb's TR look like a chump!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

BobbyG
04-14-2011, 06:49 AM
OK, it's the 14th, where's the finished photos? :laughing:

AlexC
04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I actually did get it done the next day, but i had a little trouble finding the time to get all the pictures and post them up haha. But here are the results, check it out! :xyxthumbs:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/34888-trim-restoration-partially.html#post453482