PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, Easy Tire Cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

phoneguy44
04-12-2011, 03:12 PM
2 years ago when I decided I wanted to clean cars for side money, I did my homework by going around to my local car washes and quizzing on pricing. While there, I saw a guy sprinkle some powder on a tire brush, swirl around the tire 3 or four times and walk over to the next tire to do the same. I walked over to him and asked him about it, he was using AJAX powder, 99 cents at your local walmart.
Went home and tried it, been using it ever since. Don't have to scrub like a mad man and brights up white lettering like new. Cleans even the filthiest tire with ease and did I mention 99 cents a can, TALL can at that.

Trick for me is water, the more water, the more suds. I go around the tire till I got a good suds going and do the other one on the same side, then rinse. And if it dries before you rinse it will show up when tire dries. I've learned on hot days, if I hit the other tire and come back to rinse and that tire has dried a little, just hit it again and it cleans it right up. Takes me 20 sec to clean 1 tire.

Try it, let me know what you think.

Nordic Lisa
04-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not saying it's wrong since I don't know, however I have seen some guys at carwashes do things that even I know aren't right, so I don't know how much faith I would put in their knowledge.

Superdutytd
04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I would worry about getting it on rims.

tempter927
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Calcium carbonate - Cleaning Agent
Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulfonate - Cleaning Agent
Trichlorocyanuric Acid - Stain removal
Fragrance Pleasant - Scent
Dye - Color

Those are the listed ingredients for ajax, I dont know what affect they would have on tires (drying, cracking, NONE). I'm sure that the car care companies which market their tire cleaners as "safe for tire rubber" would say that ajax will cause the tires to dry out, etc. FYI ajax was introduced in 1947.

XLNTShine
04-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I wonder if it says to wear gloves.. check the MSDS and see what the long term hazards are with using this product. I say if its ok to get on your hands then it might be ok for rubber?

03z71
04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
My APC works just as good if used right.

buddhadog
04-13-2011, 02:11 AM
2 years ago when I decided I wanted to clean cars for side money, I did my homework by going around to my local car washes and quizzing on pricing. While there, I saw a guy sprinkle some powder on a tire brush, swirl around the tire 3 or four times and walk over to the next tire to do the same. I walked over to him and asked him about it, he was using AJAX powder, 99 cents at your local walmart.
Went home and tried it, been using it ever since. Don't have to scrub like a mad man and brights up white lettering like new. Cleans even the filthiest tire with ease and did I mention 99 cents a can, TALL can at that.

Trick for me is water, the more water, the more suds. I go around the tire till I got a good suds going and do the other one on the same side, then rinse. And if it dries before you rinse it will show up when tire dries. I've learned on hot days, if I hit the other tire and come back to rinse and that tire has dried a little, just hit it again and it cleans it right up. Takes me 20 sec to clean 1 tire.

Try it, let me know what you think.
Thanks for the tip! How do your tires look after 2 years of doing this?

john b
04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
you can buy 32 oz. of zep citrus degreaser for 3$ at home depot:xyxthumbs:

Daniel Ellow
04-13-2011, 08:40 AM
I have used Ultra Protectant easy spray-on process and I got high gloss on tires.

weavers
04-13-2011, 08:35 PM
I bought a gallon of APC from the store for 10 bucks. I wanted one that was indeed all purpose and said deodorizer and cleans all surfaces that doesn't need to be rinsed. I think its called Breeze. so far its been great. I use it 1:15, so 2oz to 32 oz of water. Its as strong as purple power super degreaser, and doesn't stain trim or anything. Its great for everything on the car. Carpets, seats, vinyl, leather, grease, ect.

I spray the wheel, dunka stiff bristle brush in my bucket of onr(note I've just did a onr wash so the water is dirty, really dirty wheels may get car soap or dawn dish soap too.) and scrub the wheel. I scrub around twice and let it dry, then wipe with terry cloth towel. sometimes the terry clothe gets off more dirt, then its time for dressing. you don't need suds to clean a car. Friction and time are more effective than suds, in my experience.

* The FAMOUS ORIGINAL BREEZE EASY CLEANER * "The Best Cleaner in the World" Amazing Spray - Gentle Yet POWERFUL - Economical, Environmentally Sound! (http://breezecleaner.com/)

since my apc is as strong as purple power, i am trying purple power 1:1with water. Before i used the manufacturer guidelines, 1/3 cup to 32oz of water which is 1:12.

I have also been using APC as a pre soak before a wash and wax. i spray apc all over the car in a garden sprayer, onr wash, clay, ipa wipe down/dry and wax. So far it strips wax pretty well. I may take out the ipa wipe down step. this method is way faster than the hosepipe and 2 bucket method and it truly is just as safe for most cars(unless it has caked on mud. with APC baked on bugs just slide off or clay will remove them.

richy
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
you can buy 32 oz. of zep citrus degreaser for 3$ at home depot:xyxthumbs:

:iagree: That's my answer. Buy it by the gallon.

sabrina
05-03-2011, 04:32 AM
Before you wash your car, wet the tires and spray liberally with oven cleaner. Let set while you work on the reat of your vehicle.
Once you have finished with the rest of the vehicle, spray the oven cleaner off with water. You can also use a scrub brush prior to this if your tires are really dirty. Be sure to use rubber gloves if you do.
Once you have cleaned your tires, allow them to dry and then spray with cooking spray. You can leave on or wipe off to your preference.

Klink10
05-03-2011, 06:23 AM
I'm sorry but I know that oven cleaner (Easy Off) will remove clear coat. Use it to strip the clear from motorcycle rims and various other parts. I would be hesitant to use it on wheels with a clear finish.

weavers
05-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Before you wash your car, wet the tires and spray liberally with oven cleaner. Let set while you work on the reat of your vehicle.
Once you have finished with the rest of the vehicle, spray the oven cleaner off with water. You can also use a scrub brush prior to this if your tires are really dirty. Be sure to use rubber gloves if you do.
Once you have cleaned your tires, allow them to dry and then spray with cooking spray. You can leave on or wipe off to your preference.

has anyone else tried oven cleaner? It sounds like it would help for those baked on wheels.

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2011, 07:52 AM
has anyone else tried oven cleaner? It sounds like it would help for those baked on wheels.

OMG! Can't you see Sabrina is a spammer? Look at the links in her sig and don't use Easy Off on your wheels.