PDA

View Full Version : tire dressing question

Pages : [1] 2

NewXJ
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
i use a gel tire dressing and am not pleased with it. after a few times out and about some of it gets on the side of the car. was wondering what you guys use on your tires?

dad07
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
What are you using? I use Opti-bond Dilutted 1:1 and sprayed. It gives that NEW look for tires that are properly cleaned.

JonMiles
04-11-2011, 10:00 PM
I use Ultima Tire and Trim Guard...it is a very durable matte shine that does not sling. Cleaning the tires properly before dressing is essential in getting the most out of a dressing.

For your situation, have you tried buffing the tires with a rag before driving? It seems like you have excess gel on the tires that is getting spun off.

fancyfootwork
04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
DP Tire Gloss Gel. Thin is the key.

Clean your tires thoroughly, apply with a foam applicator pad evenly spread and thin. I have purposely driven after application of a few different cars and checked for sling and haven't had a problem with it.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Finish Kare #108 Tire Dressing

john b
04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
go back thru to make sure you got your dressing wiped down around the letters and tire tread if by chance it got in there and make sure you lett it dry according to instructions

Silverstone
04-12-2011, 12:10 AM
I've used 303 protectant for years on my own cars. Again I like the low gloss look.

roguish-desires
04-12-2011, 12:47 AM
What are you using? I use Opti-bond Dilutted 1:1 and sprayed. It gives that NEW look for tires that are properly cleaned.

:iagree:

tmoney82
04-12-2011, 06:23 AM
DP

BobbyG
04-12-2011, 06:55 AM
i use a gel tire dressing and am not pleased with it. after a few times out and about some of it gets on the side of the car. was wondering what you guys use on your tires?

I'm assuming that you're using one of the thin sprays. These looks great sitting however as soon as a little centrifugal force enters the picture away it goes!

Tire Products

Pinnacle Black Onyx
Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel
DP Gloss Tire Gel
Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

I've listed from 1 to 4 for level of glossiness.

All of these are superb performers with the "more glossy" going to Pinnacle and Wolfgang. Now this glossiness is not the wet shine you might be thinking of if you've ever used something like Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" tire spray.

While either the Pinnacle or Wolfgang are applied they do give off that wet appearance but as the product soaks into the rubber it tends to tone it down to a nice black satin finish. I apply all my tire treatments with a brush and a foam sponge.

DP Gloss Tire Gel goes on buttery smooth and dries to a deep dark rich blackness. It's has sort of a mint smell to it but goes away after it's dried.

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is another good performer but it takes a couple of coats to get it looking good. This gives what I'd call the flattest finish although it does look quite good but not quite as rich as the three above.

All of these have a decent lifespan so I'm sure one will suit your needs.

HeavyMetal
04-12-2011, 07:26 AM
If you do a search, several products are repeatedly mentioned. Bobby G's list has what I found to be the tops in popularity. I would add UTTG to that list. I chose DP Tire Gel because it's one of the most popular, Bobby G noted it gave more of a matte finish (which is what I want) and it was on BOGO :xyxthumbs:. I later added UTTG based on CEE DOG's recommend because I wanted something a little deeper and longer lasting for my wife's Lexus. Worked perfect.

So, go with any of the forum favorites and ya can't go wrong :dblthumb2:.

I will add that you probably can't really go wrong with ANY of the products mentioned here or sold by AG or one of the other retailers. These "professional-level" products are so miles beyond the over-the-counter (OTC) stuff you can buy at Wally World or your auto supply store that you will be stunned at how well any of them work. That's been my experience with everything I've purchased.

StoneRaizer
04-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I use Optimum Opti-Bond Gel diluted 1:1 in a regular Walmart spray bottle. I put 4-5 sprays on the tire, spread with a foam tire dressing applicator and buff off any excess with a microfiber towel. I like the low gloss, "like new" look.

FUNX650
04-12-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't want to get into the blooming, carbon black, UV protectant, etc., discussion. With that said: Today's tire manufacturers do not recommend the application of any 'dressings' to their tires, just a thorough cleaning should bring the rubber back to the factory appearance. But, be it as it may, they realize that many (myself included) want a little more than that factory appearance. Therfore, they recommend that no petroleum distillate emulsion based products be applied to the rubber (also they're not VOC compliant).

That's why, when I want a little more than that new fresh from the factory look, I only use tire 'dressings' products that are "milky" in appearance (some are dyed blue or pink) such as 303 Protectant, Lexol Vinylex---they may appear to not last as long as petroleum based dressings but, IMO, they are not as detrimental to your health, the environment, rubber, or the vehicles paint as petroleum-based dressings.

BobbyG
04-12-2011, 08:18 AM
I would add UTTG to that list. I chose DP Tire Gel because it's one of the most popular, Bobby G noted it gave more of a matte finish (which is what I want) and it was on BOGO :xyxthumbs:. I later added UTTG based on CEE DOG's recommend because I wanted something a little deeper and longer lasting for my wife's Lexus. Worked perfect.

Craig,

That's a great point! :dblthumb2:

I have some Ultima Tire and Trim Guard that I'll try the nest time I wash my truck or car. I took my Corvette out last weekend and gave it a thorough washing so the tires are prime for trying this out.

When I do I will post some photos here... :props:

Thanks for the reminder!!

Dr Oldz
04-12-2011, 08:34 AM
I like the DP and Megs Hyper dressing!