PDA

View Full Version : liquid glass

Pages : [1] 2

watson1000
04-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi guys/gals

I have a 2008 Honda accord with dark blue paint and I coated it with a product called Liquid glass and I am not happy with the way it looks. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do if anything to remove this product so i can buff /polish it to a nicer shine .

Glenn

embolism
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
just looked it up and it is a sealant so depending on how long and well it was applied, should come off with a strong detergent wash (CG citrus, APC, dawn etc.) followed by a claybar...

what aren't you happy about with the look? Sealants are more durable but sometimes look plasticy as opposed to the warm look of carnauba.

Maybe your ride needs polishing or maybe you need to top the liquid glass with something like Natty blue or Colly 915

BobbyG
04-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey Glenn,

Mix up some Dawn dish washing liquid and water.

Spray each panel down with a diluted all purpose cleaner then wash with the above solution.

Isopropyl Alcohol spray and a towel usually works well too.

PA DETAILER
04-11-2011, 12:16 PM
i remember using LG years ago with good results. its still around. i do remember you had to apply two coats to get the full benifits.

watson1000
04-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys for the replies.

I am not happy with the swirl marks under the sealant. I thought I had it looking good before I applied the Liquid glass,but I guess not . The paint does not look bad in the garage but as soon as the sun hits it you can see swirls and small scratches in it which is what i would like to remove/hide.I have only applied 2 coats of liquid glass last fall so I was also wondering if the road grim and salt would wear down the product with only the 2 coats on it .The car is washed regularly with megs wash and i am using microfiber mit and towels to dry so I don't understand why there is so many swirls.
I have been reading about the new DA kit from Megs and thinking about trying that to see if it will liven up the look of the paint what do you think?.

Glenn

embolism
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Kinda figured that was the case. At night my black car looks fantastic but then I looked at it during a fillup under the halogens at the gas station... not so good.

You could be causing swirls during washing or drying. It's tough to say. Read up on the proper methods for both here.

I'd also invest in the 5" MF system (I think it's on backorder though)and a machine if you don't already have one. Again, lots of good options at AG. If you don't want to spend that much money, then you can get a glaze to fill the swirls.

watson1000
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Kinda figured that was the case. At night my black car looks fantastic but then I looked at it during a fillup under the halogens at the gas station... not so good.

You could be causing swirls during washing or drying. It's tough to say. Read up on the proper methods for both here.

I'd also invest in the 5" MF system (I think it's on backorder though)and a machine if you don't already have one. Again, lots of good options at AG. If you don't want to spend that much money, then you can get a glaze to fill the swirls.

When I see mine at night it looks awesome ,but when the sun reflects off it at certain angles man it looks like I used a steel wool to wash it. I have a proper bucket with the grate in it to catch dirt and as I said before I use microfibre wash mitt and mf towels to dry it off . I wonder if I could use the new megs DA kit over the top off this stuff or will i have issues?

Meghan
04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
In stock! Im the MAN
Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html)

BobbyG
04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
When I see mine at night it looks awesome ,but when the sun reflects off it at certain angles man it looks like I used a steel wool to wash it.

HAHA, Welcome to the obsession!! :props:

Some actually think the swirls look nice!! :awman:

Flash Gordon
04-11-2011, 01:49 PM
I have a funny story involving Liquid Glass if anyone wants to hear it :dig:

embolism
04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
let's hear it!

watson1000
04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I have a funny story involving Liquid Glass if anyone wants to hear it :dig:

please enlighten me , I am ready for a laugh .

embolism
04-12-2011, 10:13 AM
don't leave us hanging man

cutter
07-19-2011, 08:14 PM
bump!!!

sohail99
07-22-2011, 02:50 AM
liquid glass story pls!

Many of my neighbors got their car some 'wonder wax' that the dealership was advertising for upto 2 years of protection!!

So I got there to see what method were they using and of course the products! You wont believe that they use a rotary polisher with a wool pad to apply their 'sealant or coat' or whatever :eek:

So I talk to this guy about how can a sealant last 2 years. And he goes into some incoherent blabber regarding teflon! LOL And I'm like yeah yeah just a bunch of hogwash! :laughing:

And so sad to see that customers were buying into the teflon story! He wasn't even correcting the paint, just applying sealant with a wool pad on a rotary!