PDA

View Full Version : Internet on the go....

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kristopher1129
04-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Just wondering if any of you mobile detailers out there bothered to carry a laptop, and have an internet connection for your mobile unit?

I do all my scheduling online, and am adding mobile this year. So, I will leaving my shop to do a mobile job or two...while my guys work at the shop. I'd like to not leave the burden of having to schedule appointments on them.

My first thought was just get a Myfi card, and I'll have internet. But I know these aren't all that cheap. Any ideas??

LegacyGT
04-10-2011, 11:44 PM
The largest provider of free WiFi in the US .... linksys.

But seriously, I have had the opportunity to use a MiFi and they are fantastic devices if you need to connect multiple devices such as a laptop, tablet etc.

Otherwise I would look into getting a mobile phone with a data plan that will allow you to tether your computer to it. Depending on your technological prowess you may be able to do this at no additional cost ... google is your friend.

aerogt01
04-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Verizon charges extra to use your smartphone as a 3G hotspot. Then again, you can do that by rooting the phone if it's a droid. . . an subsequently voiding the warranty.

C. Charles Hahn
04-11-2011, 12:03 AM
If I were running a mobile operation and using the internet away from home base, I'd probably go with an iPad with 3G.... it would work for doing your scheduling, keeping your other files, you could use it to collect credit card payments (Squareup), and you could also show clients before/after pictures with it.

Matt
04-11-2011, 04:02 AM
The new iPhone firmware (iOS 4.3) gives the ability to use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

I never bothered updating to the 4.2 version firmware from the 4.1 that came with my iPhone 4, but just for that one wifi hotspot feature, I'll update the firmware.

just my $.02

SeaJay's
04-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Do you have a smart phone? If so, why not just use that? You can probably access your scheduling site directly from your phone. Of course if your on the phone with a potential customer I guess that could get an issue.

FRC Z51
04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Do you have a smart phone? If so, why not just use that? You can probably access your scheduling site directly from your phone. Of course if your on the phone with a potential customer I guess that could get an issue.

Unless it's an iPhone then you can view the web while one the phone.

A4 1.8tqm
04-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Unless it's an iPhone then you can view the web while one the phone.

You sure about that? I can talk and browse the web on my AT&T iPhone 4...

Emm
04-11-2011, 08:46 AM
You sure about that? I can talk and browse the web on my AT&T iPhone 4...

Verizon iphone you can't, AT & T you can.

Kaleb G.
04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Or if you're due for an upgrade and you have at&t, you can get the atrix and get the sweet laptop adapter thing that you just dock on the back of it. Gives you a full laptop you can use anywhere and its made for the atrix.

TMD
04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Hey Kris,

We use our Verizon serviced, Droid Incredible when we're on the road for email, billing, and scheduling. We also have a laptop, but it's a bit of a pain to break out when we're working. The phone is easiest and user friendly.

maximus20895
04-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Best bet is to get a smartphone, (BlackBerry, Android, iPhone etc) and then just pay the $30/mo charge. It is way better than getting a ridiculously expensive mifi plan or something of that nature and not worth all the money for what you want to use it for.

DLB
04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
If I need internet when I can't get a wireless signal, I just connect through my Droid. PDANet is a free app and will give you instant tethering ability for no additional charges from Verizon. All you need is a cable. Not as cool as a wireless hotspot, but it works very well.

DLB

Porsche Pilot
04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
If I need internet when I can't get a wireless signal, I just connect through my Droid. PDANet is a free app and will give you instant tethering ability for no additional charges from Verizon. All you need is a cable. Not as cool as a wireless hotspot, but it works very well.

DLB

Will the phone usb cable that came with the droid work for the connection?

DLB
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Will the phone usb cable that came with the droid work for the connection?
Absolutely. Any Micro USB that I have tried works.

DLB