PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of time..now what?

Trevor
04-10-2011, 10:55 PM
After two days, I am finishing up my last polishing step (I did UC, SwirlX, PO85rd). However, I am running of time tonight and cannot finish my last steps. I have to drive a few miles tomorrow before I can finish the job.

My last steps are Black Hole, WG 3.0 sealant, and then PB's NB.

If I'm done with polishing, but then drive, how do I prepare the surface for BH? Do I have to rewash? I thought maybe just a QD but read that the oils in the QD prevent the BH from adhering/filling properly. I would be using Megs QD fwiw.

Suggestions?

Kristopher1129
04-10-2011, 11:00 PM
After two days, I am finishing up my last polishing step (I did UC, SwirlX, PO85rd). However, I am running of time tonight and cannot finish my last steps. I have to drive a few miles tomorrow before I can finish the job.

My last steps are Black Hole, WG 3.0 sealant, and then PB's NB.

If I'm done with polishing, but then drive, how do I prepare the surface for BH? Do I have to rewash? I thought maybe just a QD but read that the oils in the QD prevent the BH from adhering/filling properly. I would be using Megs QD fwiw.

Suggestions?

I think you may have too many steps there. I mean your talking 6 steps here. No wonder you're not done. I would have chosen either the UC, or the swirl X...not both. I also don't think you need Black Hole...unless you didn't polish correctly. You also don't need PB NB if you're using WGDGPS.

I know some people like wax over their sealant...but, at this point...I think there's some overkill going on.

Trevor
04-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I think you may have too many steps there. I mean your talking 6 steps here. No wonder you're not done. I would have chosen either the UC, or the swirl X...not both. I also don't think you need Black Hole...unless you didn't polish correctly. You also don't need PB NB if you're using WGDGPS.

I know some people like wax over their sealant...but, at this point...I think there's some overkill going on.

I understand what you are saying, and trust me I wish I was done. It is a Black 2005 Ford Escape that has had next to no care besides improper washing through that period, so it is heavily swirled. I tried SwirlX by itself with orange pads and it didn't cut it. UC was much better, but left some haze. Thus the follow up with SwirlX. I was tempted to skip the PO85rd and did a test section to see I could really tell a difference. I thought I could, but grabbed my wife for an unbiased opinion. She saw the difference immediately. Thus the P085rd. Finally, although I think I removed 90% of the swirls, there are some remaining. This was my first DA attempt ever and I didn't expect it to be perfect, thus BH. BH takes no time at all to put on, haze, and wipe off and it will fill the the remaining 10% nicely. Finally, I am planning on putting down the WG 3.0 first, then testing a small section a day later with the PB's to see the difference in look. You may very well be right that all these steps weren't necessary but I'm good with it! :xyxthumbs:

Soooooo....about the question of prepping for BH after driving?

TLMitchell
04-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I've been in a similar situation. I keep a spray bottle of ONR at QD strength hanging around and gave the vehicle a quick wipe after a 10 mile drive. The MF was filthy, I ended up rewashing before finishing. YMMV.

TL

john b
04-10-2011, 11:26 PM
yes rewash prior to whatever you are goin to put down or at least onr

Kristopher1129
04-10-2011, 11:33 PM
You'll definitely want to rewash. Probably do an ONR wipedown. I would do an inspection of the vehicle real good...just make sure nothing happened during the drive that you can remedy before moving forward. Especially since you've already put so much time into the paint.

After that you should be good to go man.

Trevor
04-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Re-wash it is. Thank you for the prompt replies from everyone.