PDA

View Full Version : Headliner coming loose

Belair
04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
In my grandson's '99 Silverado the headliner above the passenger side door is pulling away from the plastic lip that holds it in place. It's not drooping badly or anything, just 3-4" along the length of the door opening is a separation of ~ 1/8" slightly off the lip, it's almost like the headliner is shrinking in that spot. I know he hasn't cleaned it, but I recall about a year ago there was a leak in the third brake light atop the roof that was later sealed with some silicone. The third light, though, is in the back of the cab which has 4 doors, & this separation is near the center of the passenger door. Don't know what's causing this to happen.

Question is, could some type of glue be used to keep it inside the lip? Other recommendations?

Thanks, Joe.

hemi ram55
04-10-2011, 09:05 PM
i have repaired so many of these i cant even tell you. what i find works best is to take the headliner out, place it on the ground and use spray adhesive and gently brush the headliner back on with a sponge brush, not a bristle. make sure when you spray the adhesive under the fabric, you do it in even coats cause if you start getting lines from overlapping glue, you will see it in the headliner. You could even try spraying the adhesive under the fabric on the headliner, and using a bristled brush to smooth the glue out. after its done, bring it inside where and let the glue set for 24 hours before reinstalling. Hope this helps! any other questions feel free to PM me.

A4 1.8tqm
04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Tape off and protect surrounding areas and use a spray fabric adhesive. Just a thought, I've never done it.

Edit: ^I guess hemi has though :xyxthumbs:

hemi ram55
04-10-2011, 09:07 PM
also, you may have to restretch the fabric back out a little bit if its been off for a while. tends to shrink. dont pull too hard though, its very easy to rip and leave finger indentations in the fabric

dad07
04-10-2011, 09:13 PM
also, you may have to restretch the fabric back out a little bit if its been off for a while. tends to shrink. dont pull too hard though, its very easy to rip and leave finger indentations in the fabric

:iagree: You must take your time its not a 5 min fix! But it can done!

hemi ram55
04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
If you do it in under a half hour from the time you get the headliner completely out of the vehicle, your moving too fast. slow and easy and it will look like it never came off!

CEE DOG
04-10-2011, 09:31 PM
100$ for a mobile guy to install a new headliner right in your driveway. Doesn't take to long that way.

dad07
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
100$ for a mobile guy to install a new headliner

Not around here Corey,LOL!

Flash Gordon
04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Toupee tape :dblthumb2:

Belair
04-11-2011, 09:22 PM
OK, thanks everyone, I figured the know-how would be here.

Toupee tape Flasheroo? hahahahahaha. Good one.

Flash Gordon
04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
OK, thanks everyone, I figured the know-how would be here.

Toupee tape Flasheroo? hahahahahaha. Good one.

It really does a good job under certain circumstances. Very sticky and super thin :dblthumb2: