PDA

View Full Version : Help, is this normal?

Trevor
04-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Doing my first car with a DA, a PC. Black SUV. I did my test panel from start to finish. Tried SwirlX first but it didn't achieve the results I was looking for. Switched to Ultimate Compound followed by swirlx and it was looking great. I did the side panels and hood with no problems.

Fast forward to the roof. I did one coat with UC, speed 5, using LC orange pads, just like everywhere else. It looked great on the roof, but to my surprise when finishing, my pad is now dark gray. This never happened anywhere else. Did I cut through all the clear coat somehow? Is it just because the roof has some built up oxidation or something I'm removing. One other alternative, I got lazy and didn't tape the seals and sunroof so my pad was sliding over that too on top. Could the gray be from that?

I just want to make sure I'm not ruining my vehicle on my first attempt. Everything is looking awesome otherwise.

Thanks for the help!

TMD
04-10-2011, 12:51 PM
You will know if you've cut through the clear.

Unless you've got single stage paint on the roof, it's most likely from the trim lines.

Pictures would help.

jamores23
04-10-2011, 12:56 PM
if your using a DA i highly doubt you ate through the clear. What kind of car is it? pictures would help ALOT! post pics and i will guide you from there and so will others!

Trevor
04-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, you are right I should have put pictures up but I immediately cleaned the pad for some reason (like wiping down the murder weapon?) If I cut through clear would it still be so shiny?

It is a 2005 Ford Escape.

If it happens again, I will try to post pictures. I moved to a different section of the car entirely for now. :)

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
04-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it may be from the rubber trim :xyxthumbs:

Do post up the pictures though

maximus20895
04-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, you are right I should have put pictures up but I immediately cleaned the pad for some reason (like wiping down the murder weapon?) If I cut through clear would it still be so shiny?

It is a 2005 Ford Escape.

If it happens again, I will try to post pictures. I moved to a different section of the car entirely for now. :)

It wouldn't be as shiny. It's like a "clear film" that glosses it up I guess. You shouldn't worry. :)

Flash Gordon
04-10-2011, 01:27 PM
I think its just spent wax

Trevor
04-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I think its just spent wax

Spent wax? Like the UC or something? I've been cleaning "on the fly" with the terry towel method I saw on here. Or do you mean something different?

Crazy Amos
04-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Almost gaurantee it's from the trim. Switch pads and don't hit the trim and see if the pad turns black. But this time, tape the trim and re-buff everything you did after you hit the trim because chances are it's swirled. The black you see (if) from the trim is dirt so, it was probaly scratching as you worked.

Trevor
04-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Almost gaurantee it's from the trim. Switch pads and don't hit the trim and see if the pad turns black. But this time, tape the trim and re-buff everything you did after you hit the trim because chances are it's swirled. The black you see (if) from the trim is dirt so, it was probaly scratching as you worked.

I will definitely tape it before I hit it again. I put the halogens on it and I don't really see much left. I think I can get by with just the swirlx step and then PO85rd.

In retrospect, pretty silly not to tape the trim up there. I did everything else, it would have taken two more minutes.

As in most things, mistakes happen when you're tired.

rallyruss
04-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Could be dirt. Could be tinted clearcoat... could be from trim..

Crazy Amos
04-10-2011, 02:04 PM

I've been there! It isn't anything that can't be fixed.

Perfections
04-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Probably just bonded dirt the washing process wasn't able to remove, which is why most will tell you to clay first

FUNX650
04-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I will definitely tape it before I hit it again. I put the halogens on it and I don't really see much left. I think I can get by with just the swirlx step and then PO85rd.

In retrospect, pretty silly not to tape the trim up there. I did everything else, it would have taken two more minutes.

I really like your level-headness and attitude---you seem to have taken this in stride, realizing you now have a solution. I bet you live an extraordinary life.