PDA

View Full Version : I need help

01xtreme
04-10-2011, 07:47 AM
I've been dealing with this issue on my blazer for a while now. There is black plastic trim around my rear side windows that has gotten this strange texture on it (supposed to be completely smooth and black, but it's all pitted, and faded. I've tried dressing which helps with the discoloration for a while, but the pitting and what-not is killing me. I'm going to try and take pictures in a few once it brightens up a little bit. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

01xtreme
04-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I've been thinking I can probably sand out the texture, but what would you recommend I do from there? I'm thinking I would probably have to tape it off, and paint it, then just maintain it like I do the painted body. However I'm not sure.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s205/01xtreme/2011-04-10084752.jpg

BobbyG
04-10-2011, 07:58 AM
I'll look forward in seeing some close up shots. Depending on the age of the vehicle and the environment it may just be natural material degradation which other than replacing it with new there's not much else that can help.

Post them when you get some.........:props:

BobbyG
04-10-2011, 08:01 AM
HA, I missed you by 1 minute!! :laughing:

That looks like older plastic. You might try wet sanding it with some 400 paper then see how it looks. If this seems to help then continue and treat with your favorite plastic trim product.

01xtreme
04-10-2011, 08:17 AM

That looks like older plastic. You might try wet sanding it with some 400 paper then see how it looks. If this seems to help then continue and treat with your favorite plastic trim product.

Awesome, Thanks. I have some of the Meg's Hyper dressing, but due to my work schedule haven't has the chance to use it yet. Hopefully on tuesday (my only day off this week) I can get some work done on it and see what happens.

Perfections
04-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Like Bobby was saying that's aged, only fix is to replace or sand, then put something better then hyper dressing to protect it, that will last through rain, like uttg, cquartz, opti coat

Crazy Amos
04-10-2011, 10:18 AM
What other dressings do you have?

FUNX650
04-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I've been dealing with this issue on my blazer for a while now. There is black plastic trim around my rear side windows that has gotten this strange texture on it (supposed to be completely smooth and black, but it's all pitted, and faded. I've tried dressing which helps with the discoloration for a while, but the pitting and what-not is killing me. I'm going to try and take pictures in a few once it brightens up a little bit. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

[Before I reply to this topic, I would like to apologize in advance to this Forum's owner, moderators, amd members if what I suggest for a remedy to the OP's situation is inappropiate in any manner, shape, or form. Thanks.]

AutoGeek does not carry the following product; but, they do carry many product lines that may be utilized for maintenance afterwards.

At dealerships we used to use ETR II. The latest offering, now that has been further formulated to be VOC compliant, is the ETR III version.

john b
04-10-2011, 03:47 PM
i would love to see a demonstration on how to do that wet sanding on that old trim-how about it bobby or perfections

Rsurfer
04-10-2011, 04:22 PM
[Before I reply to this topic, I would like to apologize in advance to this Forum's owner, moderators, amd members if what I suggest for a remedy to the OP's situation is inappropiate in any manner, shape, or form. Thanks.]

AutoGeek does not carry the following product; but, they do carry many product lines that may be utilized for maintenance afterwards.

At dealerships we used to use ETR II. The latest offering, now that has been further formulated to be VOC compliant, is the ETR III version.
No need to apologize..you can give your opinion on any product, just no links.

Old Tiger
04-10-2011, 04:24 PM

Or coat it with Opti Coat 2.0 or Cquartz! Bobby you gotta consider these amazing products!

Perfections
04-10-2011, 04:25 PM
i would love to see a demonstration on how to do that wet sanding on that old trim-how about it bobby or perfections

Personally I've only had to do it once, a friends trim was so dried out it had small holes maybe a millimeter or less into the rubber, I taped off everything twice to insure I didn't go through the tape, used 320 up to 1500 grit sand paper, was meticulous work and time consuming but turned out ok looking vs the before, there wasn't good trim dressing at the time like today's coatings, so I had him just keep putting Meg's trim dressing on it till he sold it

FUNX650
04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
No need to apologize..you can give your opinion on any product, just no links.

Thanks Rsurfer.