PDA

View Full Version : Using auto detail products on shower doors?

newb001
04-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Sorry, wasn't sure what category to put this under...

In the past I've seen posts where people used rain x or aquapel on their glass shower doors, but I'm wondering if something like CQuartz or Opti Coat could be used?

Anyone try this?

SeaJay's
04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm sure it could be but would you really want to take CQuartz or Opti-coat (which can be expensive) and use it for a shower door? I'd just apply some sealant to it and call it a day.

newb001
04-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks. I figured that cq or oc would last much longer than a sealant, thereby making up for the extra cost.

Would something like KAIO work at all?

SeaJay's
04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
It would probably last much longer, but it is just shower doors. They are not being subject to the elements of outdoors, driving, etc.

A good sealant will probably last a good 6-8 months (if not longer).

I'm not sure about KAIO. You could give it a try. Worse case your strip it off and go to something else.

Meghan
04-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I have used Klasse on my shower doors before and it works great.

DaHen
It's not an auto detail product but I've been using 303's Shower Shield on the shower tiles.

"Mist on 303 Shower Shield until surfaces are covered, including metal fixtures, grout and glass doors."

jlb85
KAIO works great! It's longevity is a month tops, but does the trick nicely. I've never tried topping it with the KG though :)

OC is just way too expensive for stuff like that, especially since Aquapel can be even more effective for glass and still last a good 6 months. Note that harsh cleaners will deteriorate any coating on the doors. Try using the PC with KAIO to "clean" the glass, then throw on some Aquapel and keep dry for a day as it sets.

jlb85
04-08-2011, 08:01 AM
KAIO works great! It's longevity is a month tops, but does the trick nicely. I've never tried topping it with the KG though :)

OC is just way too expensive for stuff like that, especially since Aquapel can be even more effective for glass and still last a good 6 months. Note that harsh cleaners will deteriorate any coating on the doors. Try using the PC with KAIO to "clean" the glass, then throw on some Aquapel and keep dry for a day as it sets.

newb001
04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the input!

A4 1.8tqm
04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I remember a thread in the past where someone used Klasse for shower doors, sinks etc.. The main thing I took from the thread was "Do not use it on the floors!", it may be hazardous...

Edit: It was Killr who KAIO'd the shower floor, he recommends against it...

grantm
04-10-2011, 09:57 PM
This isn't for repelling, but Megs #4 is fantastic at quickly removing hard water stains from shower doors.

panthercz
04-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Depends on the shower door to justify cost. My guest shower doors would only get a standard like Klasse AIO topped with a sealant. The master bath however with a custom built shower door $$$$ would get CQuartz.
Oh and DP Glass Restorer works pretty well on removing hard water spots.