PDA

View Full Version : Best way to use a waterless wash?

Shane731
04-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Mike,
I generally prefer waterless washes to rinseless washes (just haven't gotten accustomed to the whole idea of a rinseless wash, I guess, although I have done rinseless washes a few times), but I haven't really seen much on how to "optimally perform a waterless wash." I have read this article - Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html)- and I have watched your video on how to do a rinseless wash, but I was wondering if you could provide some tips (or perhaps create an article or video maybe? hint hint :poke:) on the best way to do a waterless wash without rubbing the dirt all over the paint or using a basket load of microfiber towels to accomplish the task, especially since we are dealing with light dirt here, not just dust and fingerprints. I would just like to better my technique. Any tips, tricks, or techniques you could share would be most appreciated.
(http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html)

Shane731
04-08-2011, 09:42 AM
bump

CleanGene
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
I use my waterless wash more often as a pre-treatment for my rinseless wash. I apply to each panel before washing with ONR. The concentrated polymers should help further reduce the washing risk. I then use my quick detailer as a drying aid. Process has been working really well for me.

Old Tiger
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Great idea Shane! BTW I use lots of WW and lots of MF's because I can.. I mixed up 2 gallons of UWW+ in a garden sprayer and do a presoak and then spray on each panel and wipe off with a plush MF and do the final slow wipe with another MF. Works for me!

BillyJack
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I use ONR far more than Opti-Clean, but here's my OOC technique, which is basically the same process I use with any QD product:
I fold a mf into quarters for 8 wiping surfaces. After spraying down a panel, I'll use one surface for 1 small panel or 1/2 large panel to mop up the dirt and majority of product. Then I'll wipe it dry with a fresh cloth.
My thinking is that the first pass picks up the majority of the encapsulated dirt and holds it in the fibers, even when the cloth is slightly damp, allowing the second cloth to wipe the panel dry with minimal fear of rubbing dirt around. For a typical medium-size car, I'll finish with two damp and dirty cloths, and one or two relatively dry, relatively clean ones.

Bill

CEE DOG
04-08-2011, 08:55 PM
This is the method I use on my Sky if I want to remove a couple days of dust after it sits in the garage. If your car sits outside and has moisture contacting it the dust is no longer dust (but partially bonded material) and a waterless wash may not be the correct solution.

The biggest change in my method is to complete an entire panel at one time. One of the reasons is I don't want to re-contaminate my towel or clean section.

Currently my method is this: I spray 1 panel down with product. Then I take my mf towel and drag very lightly with no pressure whatsoever in straight lines. After a drag or two I flip the towl to a fresh side and repeat till the panel is complete. This first step is intended to remove all of the very loose dust and contamination.

Next I take a fresh towel or fresh side of a towel and start over on that same panel but this time I apply gentle pressure... just enough to get the remainder of the product residue off. If you have soft paint then you could try spraying the panel again before this gentle pressure step. This second step is intended to get any and all dust and contamination that wasn't picked up on the first pass.

Lastly I once again start over but this time with a dry towel. You might subsitute a dry towel for one with just a spray or two of UWW for lubrication if you have marr happy paint. This 3rd step is intended to remove any streaking or residue from the over application of waterless wash solution.

Bates Detailing
04-09-2011, 01:30 AM
So how is it that this thread doesn't get ridiculed , but when I start a thread about waterless washing it gets ripped to pieces lol?!?!?!?

I actually used my normal drywash on water today cause it rained for a minute and was shocked that it worked well. Learned something new today :dblthumb2:

ShineTimeDetail
04-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Ill be starting the waterless washes B&B!! LOL

ScottB
04-09-2011, 07:09 AM
I still prefer the two bucket method, just one with a rinseless wash for light cleaning. I dunno, the rinse bucket and two grit gards make me feel good. It still saves alot of water.

CEE DOG
04-09-2011, 08:27 AM
So how is it that this thread doesn't get ridiculed , but when I start a thread about waterless washing it gets ripped to pieces lol?!?!?!?

I actually used my normal drywash on water today cause it rained for a minute and was shocked that it worked well. Learned something new today :dblthumb2:

I can only speak for myself. I don't use waterless washes to wash dirty cars. I have seen for myself that it can cause marring trying to remove bonded dirt from a vehicle with waterless wash. The product themselves don't even recommend doing that. Cheers

Shane731
04-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Mike, do you have any input on this?

FUNX650
04-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Did the water that you 'drywashed' have the appearance of being clean? Was there any streaking? LOL :) :) J/K.
[I couldn't resist, no harm intended]

Mike Phillips
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Mike,

but I was wondering if you could provide some tips on the best way to do a waterless wash without

rubbing the dirt all over the paint
or using a basket load of microfiber towels to accomplish the task

[/URL]

This is pretty detailed...

[URL="http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html"]Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html)

I would slice the hood up by dividing it into 4 equal quadrants. The tops of the fenders are their own section and the panel before the windshield with the grill is it's own section.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/719/SlicingUpCar4SprayDetailer01F.jpg

A couple of comments...

If the goal is to get the car clean without using water, just a mist & wipe product, then you want to use your product heavy so the surface is liberally lubricated and use a lot of clean microfiber towel sand fold and switch to a clean side often.

Doing any less than the above increases the potential for inflicting swirls and scratches especially if the car has more than just light dirt or dust build-up...

:)