PDA

View Full Version : Is this clearcoat failure?

acg
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
This is a '91 mustang, just wondering if I can do anything with this?

Midnight1700
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
This is a '91 mustang, just wondering if I can do anything with this?

Yep! You've got a case of clearcoat failure. Not much you can do but have it repainted/clearcoat. Some others will chime in I'm sure and may have some different opinion on what to do. But I think you stuck with having to have it re-sprayed....

PAR Detailing
04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Yep that is clearcoat failure for sure.

How much of the car is like that? Reason I ask is I wonder if you could sand alot of that down polish it out and apply like Opti-Coat over it? I know it wouldnt look perfect but would that be even an option? I know at best it would only allow you more time before you repainted the area.

Crazy Amos
04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Yep that is clearcoat failure for sure.

How much of the car is like that? Reason I ask is I wonder if you could sand alot of that down polish it out and apply like Opti-Coat over it? I know it wouldnt look perfect but would that be even an option? I know at best it would only allow you more time before you repainted the area.

Exactly what I was thinking.

David Fermani
04-06-2011, 07:17 PM
This might help a little:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/85180-extreme-spray-paint-removal-pics.html

BobbyG
04-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Yes it is and the only way to correct this is to refinish the panel...

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
This might help a little:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/85180-extreme-spray-paint-removal-pics.html

If it's his car though and not one to be flipped, it would probably better to get it fixed properly.

David Fermani
04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
If it's his car though and not one to be flipped, it would probably better to get it fixed properly.

No doubt! Keep in mind the cost to do that too. Stripping and refinishing the roof and both quarters of a Fox Body isn't all that cheap to "fix properly". Especially if the new paint never ends up matching the existing. You'll end up chasing the entire car and painting it.

acg
04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Well it's my brother's car. Most of the hood and the roof are failing. He lent me the car so I can try out my new PCxp since I've never polished before. He knows it won't be perfect but of course he wouldn't mind if I could put a shine on it.

Mike Phillips
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Be sure to take some before and after pictures of your results should you choose to try to polish it and let us know how it turns out.

This type of problem comes up a lot and in most cases, the basecoat won't polish out, or at least easily for the 'average" car owner. Then if it does polish out... how long will the shine last if the car is returned to use as a daily driver.

Thanks!

:xyxthumbs: