PDA

View Full Version : Which Leather Cleaner-Conditioner is better?

qid
04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Meguiars Aloe combo or Lexol combo?

Currently I’m using the Meguiar’s GC Cleaner/Conditioner but seems like it is pretty mild in cleaning and conditioning – IMO. Thanks for all your expert help... : )

Info about myself – I’m in no way a pro like most of you here – consider me a complete noob in this area (I’m just a weekend warrior who wants to keep his ride in best condition)
My Car – ‘99 Lexus ES300 + ’03 Honda Accord SE

D_Nyholm
04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I personally feel that most of the combos are pretty mild to begin with. For regular cleaning and upkeep, i have the Meguiars D180 Leather cleaner and conditioner (probably the same as the gold class you are using) and for deep cleaning on crappy interiors, i'll use Meguiars APC+ diluted 10:1 and then follow up with the D180 to smooth everything out, leave a nice sheen, and a good smell.

Scott DeBrun
04-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I recently got the megs aloe leather combo and I was impressed with it. I used them on a friends C5 corvette and the seats came out great plus the price is good too.

chuckr
04-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Leatherique !
Use to use Lexol, never tried anything else. I'll never use anything but Leathique, just cannot beat it,especially on older leather.

ScottB
04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Leathermasters for normal care, Leatherique for annual rejuvination.

Daniel Ellow
04-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Meguiars Aloe combo or Lexol combo?

Currently I’m using the Meguiar’s GC Cleaner/Conditioner but seems like it is pretty mild in cleaning and conditioning – IMO. Thanks for all your expert help... : )

Info about myself – I’m in no way a pro like most of you here – consider me a complete noob in this area (I’m just a weekend warrior who wants to keep his ride in best condition)
My Car – ‘99 Lexus ES300 + ’03 Honda Accord SE

I have never tried any of these before as I always used liquid leather(16oz) which beautifies, cleans and conditions leather in just one step. Liquide leather having mink-oil which provides an extra softness to leather.

judyb
04-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

The type of leather you have is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
Protect from new
Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

Simple steps of cleaning & protecting will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps
Judyb

guccigucci
04-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Leathermasters for normal care, Leatherique for annual rejuvination.

Totally Agree I am just debating whether to get Leatherique

qid
04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Awesome info... thanks for all the replies.. do you guys think 303 protectant will do good once I clean the leather in my car... rather than going and use an conditioner...?

D_Nyholm
04-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Awesome info... thanks for all the replies.. do you guys think 303 protectant will do good once I clean the leather in my car... rather than going and use an conditioner...?

I noticed 303 on my seats was very slippery. Though the sheen was nice and it seemed to last a while.

Anklh
04-12-2011, 12:20 AM
This last week I used the Leatherique product on my gf's 1998 Town Car with an aftermarket leather interior. I let the vehicle sit in the Texas sun for 2 days and the result was amazing. Now the seats have a "butter" feel.