PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of Swirl Removers and Glazes

Luke
01-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I have the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. What glaze is better between Wolfgang, Pinnicle, and DP. What about the swirl removers? Will I get better results with the Wolfgang Total Swirl Removers, or with the XMT series? Does the XMT #2 and #3 PUT swirls in your paint, so you HAVE to follow up with #1? Thanks to all in advance

D
01-01-2007, 06:07 PM
With XMT #2 and 3 you have to go back over it with #1. Same goes for Poorboys SSR2.5 and 3. I know Justin said the XMT swirl removers are the best hes used.

Luke
01-01-2007, 06:14 PM
So if you DO use #2, you would have to go back over it with #1?

D
01-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, unless you think the paint doesnt need it.

Luke
01-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Alright, thank you.

Whitethunder46
01-01-2007, 07:00 PM
XMT is specifically designed around the PC therefore should and is a great swirl remover. This is my first choice and will be using this. Also, optimum is supposed to be pretty good. Optimum has a very long working time and XMT does as well.

A plus for me is they can both be used in the sun, but Optimum supposedly has a slightly longer working time.

I'm going to be using XMT Glaze before carnauba's for it has some carnauba already in it and will cause great depth in the paint.

Luke
01-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Working time? Is that before the polish breaks down?

CalgaryDetail
01-01-2007, 07:11 PM
For a polish to work it needs to heat up and break down. Some brands offer polsihes that have dimishing abrasives so they do exaclty what they are supposted to and no more. Megs is an example of this.

Basicly when you put the polsih on the car it has no cutting abbility, with the heat and presure the abrasives come out to play.
This is when the swirl removing comes out.

A dual action random orbital, such as a pc, is desgined to be more user safe (many buffer can burn clean with out a second thought). The only problem is they dont generate enough heat so it takes alot longer for the polsih to break down and take effect.

Somthing like a rotery buffer is much faster, and genereates ALOT more heat, this allows for a better, and quicker polish. The draw back is you can damage your paint in a seconed (if you run to high).

The XMT line was desgined to be used with a DA polisher, the pc. It will break down at a lower tempature, allowing the polsihing to begin faster.

I have found there are no polishes that you need the heat of a fatser buffer however it does safe alot of time. I personaly use the optium compound and love the stuff. I have found it works well with a pc (dosenot take to to long to break down) and dosnet dust aat all.

I hope this info has helped

-Mike

bambo2888
01-01-2007, 07:14 PM
from my limited experience with XMT, it doesnt work wonders like the feeling i get after reading the aforementioned threads. its good and all, but I began with 3 sessions of XMT2 on an orange, then i had to go up to 2 sessions of XMT3 on an orange. still, with some deeper marks STILL remaining, i'm going to be foreced to try the XMT3 on a yellow pad. My paint wasn't "beyond repair" in slightest bit, which is why i dont think the XMT line is the best out there.

again, take this at face value for I am still a noob at the PC and its associated chemicals.

Reddwarf
01-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Luke, how do you like the Wolfgang products? I've used the sealant but not the swirl remover or the glaze. Can you apply the sealant over the Wolfgang Glaze?

Luke
01-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Mike, thank you! And Red, they are coming Wednsday, and I am SOOOOO excited!! After I use that, and the glaze I am going to finally get pictures of my 1995 Ford explorer. I love it, perfect condition!

Surfer
01-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Not sure about the differences between the polishes, and I just got the Pinnacle XMT Finishing Glaze but have not tried it yet. I will agree with Calgary though, Optimum Compound is pry the best all around product for use with a PC, it's more agressive then XMT3 yet will finish down like a polish even with a cutting pad. No dusting, and long work times. And I have the old formula, the new one is has even more bite now yet still finishes down nicely. Opitmum Polish is top notch as well.

Anything done to your Explorer, I still have my 00' 5.0 Mountaineer witha few mods, sold my 03' 4.6 Mountaineer months ago that was pretty damn fast for a naturally aspirated truck lol, little head work, cam, headers, no cats, dyno tuned etc.

Luke
01-01-2007, 11:02 PM
So the Optimum will finish down with no swirl marks? I have a MASSIVE sound system in my Explorer. I have blue neons underneath it, and the car is in perfect condition. I am getting 22' chrome rims this spring.

nick19
01-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Does WG Finishing Glaze have a "cure" or "drying" time? Could I apply, dry, and apply a coat of wax?

Or is there any "finishing" glazes that offer this?

Thanks,

-Nick
5-Star Auto Detailing