PDA

View Full Version : Brand new black 2012 Mustang GT

taxieram
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Hello, new here. Recently purchased a 2012 Mustang GT with brembos and HID's as the cosmetic/performance mods. I'm researching what is the best route to go ahead and detail the car. A problem at my house is we have well water so it can be hard. I've heard good things about Meguiars NXT both the soap and wax. I've done some searching on this forum and some others. I found this link on here from another forum member. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html
I guess what I'm asking are some other products I should look at and what route I should take since it is a brand new car. How long to wait to do somethings and what are fine to do right off the bat. Also what should i use on the headlights. Most cars we've had have ended up having headlight problems with the lens cover.
Thanks Mike

SeaJay's
04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Hello, new here. Recently purchased a 2012 Mustang GT with brembos and HID's as the cosmetic/performance mods. I'm researching what is the best route to go ahead and detail the car. A problem at my house is we have well water so it can be hard. I've heard good things about Meguiars NXT both the soap and wax. I've done some searching on this forum and some others. I found this link on here from another forum member. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html
I guess what I'm asking are some other products I should look at and what route I should take since it is a brand new car. How long to wait to do somethings and what are fine to do right off the bat. Also what should i use on the headlights. Most cars we've had have ended up having headlight problems with the lens cover.
Thanks Mike

Welcome!

Read through the articles by Mike Phillips and you'll be off to a good start.

As far as products your going to get a wide range of opinions. And that's really what it comes down to. A lot of products are used based on personal preference.

Here is a list of what you should get and what I personally use (doesn't mean you have to buy them!)

Two bucket with grit guards - 5 gallon buckets - I have 3 I picked up at lowes for around $3 ea
Wash Mitt - I have two sheep skin mitts and a schmitt
Various Brushes - I have lug nut brushes, daytona wheel brush, stiff brush for tires, soft brush for wheels, and a wheel well brush
Quality Microfibers
Car wash soap - Megs NXT, DP Extreme Foam, and Pinnacle Soap & conditioner gel
Clay bar - Adams clay (not sold at AG) and griots garage clay
Clay lube - Optimum No Rinse diluted to Quick detailer
Quality wax - Pinnacle souveran, dodo juice supernatual, collinite 845
Sealant - Menzerna Power Lock or DP Poli-coat
Tire/wheel cleaner - sonx wheel cleaner, super degreaser diluted
tire shine - DP Tire Gel or wolfgang black diamond tire gel
Wheel sealant - DP wheel glaze
Windows - Sprayway or Stoners Invisible glass
Interior - 1Z Cockpit premium

You should be able to wash it and clay it right away and apply a quality wax or sealant.
To protect your headlights you can apply a sealant to them as well to help protect.

That gives you a decent idea. I know I'm missing somethings but others will pipe in too.

cobalt9123
04-04-2011, 11:53 AM
SeaJay has some great suggestions.
My personal favorite alternatives to his:
Car wash soap - Duragloss 901 car wash concentrate
Clay Bar - Clay Magic Blue clay or Mothers clay kit (available locally)

CEE DOG
04-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Sealant: For Protecting your paint: Ultima, Optimum, Wolfgang, Blackfire, or Menzerna Power Lock are good ones to look at.

Trim: For sealing any plastic, rubber, and metal trim including the engine you should pick up Ultima Trima and Tire Guard. This one is heads and shoulders above the rest of the products around.

Car Wash: I am going to say Duragloss or Ultima

Interior: Ultima Interior Guard Plus if you like a true "new" finish look. DP Interior Protectant if you like it a bit glossier and 303AP if you like it slightly gossier beyond that.

That should get you started with what you are looking for right now.

BobbyG
04-04-2011, 12:49 PM
It looks like the guys have given you allot of good suggestions and products to choose from. :props:

Do a little experimentation and see what works best for you. Jason's given you the correct order of sequence and now all you have to do is to DO IT!! :dblthumb2:

Don;t forget to post some photos. :props:

taxieram
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Will do on the pics. Appreciate the suggestions I will go through and order some product later today. Hopefully have it by saturday and weather willing do a good thorough cleaning. Appreciate the help.