PDA

View Full Version : Jeep dude from Kissimmee, FL

Pages : [1] 2 3

kowboydmac
04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey, I've browsed the site for a couple years, never signed up for the forum till now though.

Anyway, I drive a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 6" lift. I love getting it dirty, but also love keeping it clean.

I decided to sign up after I did a quick wash/wax with these products; Rain X wash/wax with carnauba beads, Turtle Wax Scratch&Swirl Remover, and finally Eagle One's Wax As-U-Dry.
Though they are good products, I feel I need to step it up a notch.

I'm in the process of doing suspension work on it (rebuilt axle, control arms, driveshaft, track bar, etc etc) but once that is done, I want to work on a Stroker 4.6 build and get the Jeep painted a Jade Metallic Green color. It's currently a forest green color (don't know the factory name) so I figure if I sand down the clear coat, wet sand the base, the Jade Green can go right on top, followed by a new clear coat.

As of now, I've read enough about Ultima's Trim and Tire Guard (as referred to as UTTG) and am deeply interested in trying this stuff out on my tires. My rims are painted black, and I plan on re-doing the black in a por-15/chassis cote covering. Used por-15 a couple years ago and was very impressed with how hard the concoction becomes. Very much like powdercoat.

So a quick question to anyone who has read this far is what Wax seems to be the most durable against mud and small branches scratching into the clear coat?

Thanks, and I hope to gain some creative car care knowledge here :xyxthumbs:

CrownKote
04-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Hey man! Welcome!

I have been to Kissimmee! Nice place!

I have a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II That is well abused!
The wax that I have found great results in using to guard against abrasions in the off road is honestly a few coats of Collinite 845! Best protection and long lasting!

kowboydmac
04-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey man! Welcome!

I have been to Kissimmee! Nice place!

I have a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II That is well abused!
The wax that I have found great results in using to guard against abrasions in the off road is honestly a few coats of Collinite 845! Best protection and long lasting!

Thanks! Yeah Kissimmee has its moments, I work for a Timeshare company though, and previously worked for Disney, so we run on tourism for sure. Luckily Ocala is just north of here, and once I get my rig built the way I want, I'll be frequenting up there. Until then it's the little trails I dominate!

Collinite 845? Going to search that right now!

BobbyG
04-04-2011, 11:12 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!!

Collinite 845 is a tough one to beat and the low price makes it even more attractive.

Apply it with a dual action polisher and keep the layer THIN...:props:

kowboydmac
04-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks! Looks like I'm in the market for a polisher... lol.

I'd like to start out with something simple, was actually thinking of getting a handheld 7" orbital.

Honestly, a friend and I have always wanted to start a small business, and after reading several posts here I think a mobile detailing venture is very feasible; I mention that because I may have to scrap the orbital trial and go straight for something that works.

One thing about me, is I don't half *butt* anything. I want the quality of my work to reflect who I am, and I'd hate to be thought of as unsatisfactory!

CrownKote
04-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks! Looks like I'm in the market for a polisher... lol.

I'd like to start out with something simple, was actually thinking of getting a handheld 7" orbital.

Honestly, a friend and I have always wanted to start a small business, and after reading several posts here I think a mobile detailing venture is very feasible; I mention that because I may have to scrap the orbital trial and go straight for something that works.

One thing about me, is I don't half *butt* anything. I want the quality of my work to reflect who I am, and I'd hate to be thought of as unsatisfactory!

This is a great machine for the price and a work horse!
Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html)

Make sure that your quality meets and exceeds the demand of the customer or you will be just another "hack"

kowboydmac
04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
My friend has already had a knack for doing that, just by using hand towels and Advance Auto cleaners/waxes... I'd love to see what he could do with this stuff. Him and I usually work together, but he is a bit more OCD on cleaning than I am, so together it works out pretty well. I get dirty, he makes it spotless, lol.

kowboydmac
04-04-2011, 11:42 AM
This is a great machine for the price and a work horse!
Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html)

Make sure that your quality meets and exceeds the demand of the customer or you will be just another "hack"

Thanks for the heads up on that DA! I was JUST looking at a Porter Cable for 125 off CoastalTool (found via Google) but the Griot seems to be a much better deal... Might have to order that on payday along with some of that Wax and UTTG as previously mentioned.

James K
04-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the addiction!

CrownKote
04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
welcome to the addiction!

so true!!!!!

CEE DOG
04-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Welcome! I'm right up the road in the Longwood-Deltona area

kowboydmac
04-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Welcome! I'm right up the road in the Longwood-Deltona area

Awesome! I've already read a few of your threads... very thorough stuff!

kowboydmac
04-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the addiction!

Haha, hey it's a HEALTHY addiction! Kind of like how I am with the Gym! On my off days, I have serious withdrawals :(

I'm already enjoying this info, would love to have my offroad'er be able to sparkle and shine right after it's been covered in filth.

Getting dirty is fine with me, STAYING dirty is NOT!

Maybe that'll be my new sig line Im the MAN

roguish-desires
04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Welcome!

You can't go wrong with the collinite!

Flash Gordon
04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
- Welcome to the jungle By Guns N' Roses with lyrics