PDA

View Full Version : IPhone 4 or Android (Verizon) Opinions Please

Pages : [1] 2 3

grambow
04-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I am thinking about taking the leap from my 5 year old Motorola flip phone to a smart phone with a data plan. I thought I wanted an IPhone. However, after visiting a local Verizon store yesterday, I left thinking that Android is superior. I am hoping my fellow forum members can offer some insight.

Here are some things to consider:
I am not really a super user. I want to make calls, text, maybe take some pics and video. I also want navigation. I don't know how many apps I will use. I like practical things like shopping lists, check registers etc. I don't think I will be playing many games or things like that.

The 16GB IPhone is $199. The Android I am looking at is $149. Plus, I get an additional $30 off for renewing my contract. That discount does not apply if I go with the IPhone. Also, the insurance is more for the IPhone. The deductible is $199 for the IPhone and $99 for the Android. I think this is a necessity due to the number of times I have dropped my existing phone. This thing has to last 2 years!

The IPhone is slightly smaller than the Androids I was looking at. This is good because I am used to a small flip phone and I am not looking forward to the extra bulk of a smart phone.

I really want the IPhone - I am a Mac user and I just think the interface and high res display look cooler. The problem is the value. Will I get a better value with the Android or will I always be wishing I got the cooler IPhone? (We are car people so as you know, practicality doesn't always win the argument.)

I have read and watched a lot of reviews and the IPhone always slightly wins out over Android...only slightly though as if they are pretty much equal.

My heart says IPhone but my analytical brain (gut) says Android.

I would especially like to hear from users who have moved from one platform to the other.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing what you think.

poweraid
04-03-2011, 11:54 AM
well I have att and the i4 , I will never get anything else . I think there is so much more u can do with an I then other smart phone . do u really need ins ? r u that careless ? apple will replace phone cheaper than att would and/or find a local shop to fix if needed . I had to get new LCD screen put in cost 100 now I use a otterbox case . need more info on the i , I'm me

TMD
04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Grambow,

We went to the Droid Ultimate (or something relatively close to that name) five months ago and really enjoy the features. We can take pictures and post them to our Flickr account on the spot, which we do for our business, as well as bill clients right then too. I don't know how it compares to the I phone, but we what we have. I have heard that the apps are less expensive for our type of phone as compared to the Apple series, mainly because of the closed market for Apple.

Good luck!

Cman8
04-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I have had both android and iPhone. I like my iPhone because it's basically my iPod. I have my iPhone jailbroken if I didn't I would not like it as much as android. You can customize android quite a bit so that makes it awesome. But I have been thinking of going with android again, and iPhone is slightly winning the battle because of the iPod and the connection I have to my cars directly (I also am a Mac guy)

jpegs13
04-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Too many gadgets on the iphone for me. The android is the way to go.

poweraid
04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure what kind of apps android has or how many . I never had an android ops . I'm actually using autogeek forum right off my iPhone . does android support it ?

grambow
04-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I have my iPhone jailbroken

Can you explain "jailbroken?" I am assuming that is hacked in some way. What features are unlocked once the IPhone is "broken?"

The display of the IPhone looks so slick. How would you say the Android compares? Is it like a Mac to a Windows display? (I think there is a pretty big difference)

One other thing...I am an IT guy by trade which makes me a heavy Windows user. However, I not geeky about things...I dont really have the need to customize the heck out of my computer. I do like using Firefox over IE and things like that but I am not a super tweaker. I just like things to work. I do enough troubleshooting in my job. I guess that trait would point me toward the IPhone. (Just talking it out here...I think better that way.) LOL

poweraid
04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
jailbroken is so u can use the I with an unsupported carrier and u can get other apps that u can't get if were not jailbroken . easy to jailbreak but then I think u lose the manufacture warranty . the I is easy to use so easy a caveman could use it, lol . I've used a bb and that is pain in the butt to use compared to the I

Jons6.7
04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I have had every iPhone that has been released and they are great devices, ok phones. My brothers have gone from iPhone back to the android with cost not a issue they both spend more on tech toys each year than most people spend on detail stuff even if they do it for a living.

They are both in I.T. And make well into 6 figures. I say this not to brag but to put it in context. They are both tech geek gods and find the android better, but their wife's both run iPhones. Either one get a good case, spend the money for a tuff one and your good.

I honestly think you would be happy with either but if your a Mac user the iPhone would fit better. The cost diff is nothing over 2 years. Apps cost is a non-issue as they will both be about even.

I am a windows guy but really like the iPhone so have never done android. The android is more user tweakable
Just like Linux is great for tinkering with but for 99% of users work in windows and never need more.

Btw this was done via iPhone 4 so punctuation and layout may look "awesome"

C. Charles Hahn
04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Too many gadgets on the iphone for me. The android is the way to go.

Honestly the user interface for Android is far less intuitive than the iPhone... but then, the Android is also more customizable in many aspects.

Just depends what you want, I suppose.

silverfox
04-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I had several Verizon android phones and when the iPhone became available for Verizon I jumped on it. I think the iPhone is a superior phone not only the hardware but the iOS is easier to use than android operating system plus when you get away from the open source world everything works.

poweraid
04-03-2011, 12:22 PM
some things I like with the I . I can talk to text or email . have FaceTime which is video calling. can use I as a modem and wi-fi hot spot as a remote for many things . start my truck and security system. iPod of course. I think it can be used as a webcam too . so much u can do with an IPhone .

poweraid
04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
one thing I don't even have 3G in my area and I still love my i4

Cman8
04-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Can you explain "jailbroken?" I am assuming that is hacked in some way. What features are unlocked once the IPhone is "broken?"

The display of the IPhone looks so slick. How would you say the Android compares? Is it like a Mac to a Windows display? (I think there is a pretty big difference)

One other thing...I am an IT guy by trade which makes me a heavy Windows user. However, I not geeky about things...I dont really have the need to customize the heck out of my computer. I do like using Firefox over IE and things like that but I am not a super tweaker. I just like things to work. I do enough troubleshooting in my job. I guess that trait would point me toward the IPhone. (Just talking it out here...I think better that way.) LOL
Jailbreaking your phone is essentially opening it up to a lot of the developers that the apple store rejects. Things like tethering and installing other languages or other programs like finder to view the contents of all your folders in your phone. While it does void your warranty, it is easy to revert back to stock firmware in case you would need to.

The retina display is far above and beyond the android phones, but I used to have an evo 4g and that thing was awesome with an hdmi out and the display was really nice too. I really hate AT&T (get it free through work) but other that that I like the iPhone. For my uses ( iPod, tapatalk, direct connection to my car/iPod docks) I would choose the iPhone over android. I wouldn't worry too much about a insurance plan. Unless you ran it over with a car or dropped it in water all apple products come with a one year warranty and you can add the extended apple care for like 30 bucks or so. This covers a lot of stuff and I do know their apple customer service in my experience is pretty good and they try and help you out alway.

Kaleb G.
04-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm a tech nerd and just picked up my first android phone. If you like to customize and explore your gadgets like I do, android is the way to go. Rooted android performs a lot better as far as data speeds when compared to jailbroken iPhone.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk