PDA

View Full Version : IS250 Dash: How to clean?

Pages : [1] 2

SmackDown85
04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Does anyone have experience cleaning the dash of a newer Lexus IS? The dash is of a different material that I'm used to, it is sort of sticky from the factory and the dust/dirt on it is very hard to remove because of the stickiness.

I've used Simple Green (diluted of course) and it is still pretty tough to get off.

Anyone have experience here? Thanks.

Flash Gordon
04-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Does anyone have experience cleaning the dash of a newer Lexus IS? The dash is of a different material that I'm used to, it is sort of sticky from the factory and the dust/dirt on it is very hard to remove because of the stickiness.

I've used Simple Green (diluted of course) and it is still pretty tough to get off.

What is it your trying to clean off?

That textured material is NOT designed to have a dressing applied to it

Throw that Simple Green in the garbage

JonMiles
04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Ultima Interior Shampoo will do the trick when used with a soft brush and wiped off with a microfiber.

SmackDown85
04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
What is it your trying to clean off?

That textured material is NOT designed to have a dressing applied to it

Throw that Simple Green in the garbage

Dressing? Since when is simple green a dressing? How would you recommend cleaning the dash?

Flash Gordon
04-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Dressing? Since when is simple green a dressing? How would you recommend cleaning the dash?

Whats on the dash thats so dirty it requires being cleaned with Simple Green?

Spicy McHaggis
04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Lol new guy with attitude ! Lmfao

Fwiw I use either ultima or autoglym interior shampoo on almost all my jobs and it works great, safely.

dublifecrisis
04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
don't put simple green on it! You need a gentler cleaner with more elbow grease. The Lexus IS is a real nice interior but it does have lots of different color clash and different textures. Gloss, soft, hard, smooth, tan, dark. Meg's interior cleaner would be good or woolite/water 20:1

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/uchessor/07%20IS250/IMG_3564.jpg

James K
04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
What is the deal with the dash? I test drove one and almost bought it, but never really paid attention to the dash. Is it covered, plastic, vinyl?

Flash Gordon
04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
What is the deal with the dash? I test drove one and almost bought it, but never really paid attention to the dash. Is it covered, plastic, vinyl?

Its a textured material that was devoloped to reduce glare. IMO every car should have this

James K
04-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks flash.

dublifecrisis
04-02-2011, 08:29 PM
If I remember correctly it isn't much different than VW/Audi dash. It's a textured vinyl glued over a foam. A mild cleaner with a warm damp cloth finished with a low gloss protectant would be perfect IMO.

embolism
04-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I just use a quick detailer on mine and protect using 303...

easy peasy

Black Car
04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I have an audi (duh). If the dashes are in fact the same I can honestly say i've used everything on it and DP Total interior works best. Don't bother dressing it.

FUNX650
04-03-2011, 05:02 PM

'Stickiness'--This is a well-known and documented warranty issue with the newer IS dashes( polyurethene coated carbon fiber, for example)--I would contact your/any Lexus dealer and show them your issue. Note: Don't be alarmed with their questions regarding cleaning chemicals/processes you have used.

Nick McKees37
04-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I've personally cleaned the interior of an IS250, and there is nothing special about the materials used for the dash. Use a dedicated interior cleaner (DP Total Interior Cleaner, Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, etc) along with a soft brush (horse hair) or a microfiber towel. Once you get it clean, follow it up with 303 Aerospace Protectant or whichever dash protectant that you prefer. :props: