PDA

View Full Version : pricing for mobile?

hemi ram55
04-01-2011, 09:24 PM
This question is for the mobile detailers out there! How do you guys price yourselves as far as mileage? do you not charge at all for mileage or do you set an area and add additional charges outside your normal area? I was thinking of doing like a 5 mile radius around me free, and 50 cents extra per mile outside that. how does that sound??

LuxuryMobile
04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Sounds too much like a taxi service. I would make the range bigger then 5 miles before you start charging. And if you start to charge make it a flat rate, not per mile. Maybe an extra 5, then 10, then 15 or 20 etc...but 50 cents a mile get silly.

Midnight1700
04-01-2011, 09:55 PM
80% of our work is mobile and we typically "Hide" the extra cost into the detail. People get a little annoyed if you nickle and dime them to death with little charges. I have found that if you just bury the travel cost into the estimate without mentioning it, you'll do a lot better. Let's say that you'd usually charge $200.00 for a service, if you have a bit of travel time into getting to them, just tell them the job would be $220.00, and not mention the extra cost of travel. You'll be compensated for the work and travel, but the customer won't feel like you're being being cheap and charging them for every little expense. Just my .02 worth....

hemi ram55
04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Ok i did a 25 dollar extra charge for my county i live in, and 40 for the next county over which includes chicago. flat rates do seem better.

80% of our work is mobile and we typically "Hide" the extra cost into the detail. People get a little annoyed if you nickle and dime them to death with little charges. I have found that if you just bury the travel cost into the estimate without mentioning it, you'll do a lot better. Let's say that you'd usually charge $200.00 for a service, if you have a bit of travel time into getting to them, just tell them the job would be $220.00, and not mention the extra cost of travel. You'll be compensated for the work and travel, but the customer won't feel like you're being being cheap and charging them for every little expense. Just my .02 worth....

Perfections
04-01-2011, 11:44 PM

I agree I hide my cost in a 30 mile range, if it's pasted that I just tell them up front your freaking far away dude do you wanna get charged for my travel?!!! Lol just playing, but I've found hiding the cost works best quote them with gas/time included

Kristopher1129
04-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I charge a $35 convenience fee for mobile within 5 miles. If I go farther than 5 miles, I charge more. I don't have a set rate of what I charge. Depends on the drive. I'll just mapquest it and charge what I feel is necessary. But, I also have a shop...so I don't HAVE to go out and do mobile. So I kind of have to charge for it. If I didn't then it kind of depreciates my shop work. I'd rather be in my shop.

If I was strictly mobile...I wouldn't charge at all except for beyond 5 miles. But saying 50 cents per mile is kind of strange. I mean what's 50 cents if you have to drive 5 more miles...$2.50 extra? Ha, I would feel strange even telling my customer that. And actually, I would say that's undercharging. If you're gonna charge for it...make it something substantial at least.