PDA

View Full Version : best way to protect badging areas

embolism
03-31-2011, 03:48 PM
So I've been noticing that a pretty good number of older cars start showing rust around the badges. I can't really remove mine permanently b/c there are post holes that I would then have to fill so what else can I do?

1. Temporarily take them off, polish and seal the area then reapply hoping that the sealant won't interfere with the double sided tape?

2. Use brushes and liquids that can get into the crevices around the badging (IronX, spray sealants/waxes that dry clear) and hope for the best?

Thanks

Rsurfer
03-31-2011, 05:14 PM
So I've been noticing that a pretty good number of older cars start showing rust around the badges. I can't really remove mine permanently b/c there are post holes that I would then have to fill so what else can I do?

1. Temporarily take them off, polish and seal the area then reapply hoping that the sealant won't interfere with the double sided tape?

2. Use brushes and liquids that can get into the crevices around the badging (IronX, spray sealants/waxes that dry clear) and hope for the best?

Thanks
If there are holes, usually they are held by a clip or a nut. Can't you reuse them instead of filling them in and using double sided tape? If there is rust then you might want to fix the rust area instead of covering it up as it will reappear again.

embolism
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
There is no rust on my car as yet but I was noticing rust in that area on a number of cars during my daily commute. Got me thinking about what to do to best protect that area on my car...

Rsurfer
03-31-2011, 08:26 PM
There is no rust on my car as yet but I was noticing rust in that area on a number of cars during my daily commute. Got me thinking about what to do to best protect that area on my car...
Looks like option 2 would be your best bet.:xyxthumbs:

cobalt9123
03-31-2011, 08:45 PM
I have a thread coming soon in which I remove my badges and show what's underneath in my car that I have personally kept immaculate.

Honestly, I was shocked at the amount of dirt under my front badge. If it is bolt on/bolt off, I'd definitely suggest taking it off and reinstalling it as it is fairly easy.