PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy...tooo many choices! help!

meiwah98
03-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks for everyones' response when I posted "Flex 3401 or PC 7424xp". Decided to buy the PC 7424XP since I will be starting on waxing first, and then move up to swirl removal.

NOW, looking at the umpteen different kits. Have not used the different brands of polish. I am leaning towards the Menzerna Porter Cable XP Maximum Shine Kit FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-porter-cable-maximum-shine.html). Haven't used Pinnacle, haven't used Megs, but they all sound great.

Opinions? My budget is $300 for a starter kit, so they all fit. I don't think I need the more aggressive swirl removers for this first kit; but which brand polish should I go with first?

Thanks.

weavers
03-31-2011, 02:01 AM
the pads dictate how aggressive the cut will be not the machine. with any power tool more power is better. you never want to feel like your machine is letting you down or bogging down. i bought a groits grage DA and its been great. lifetime warranty. that alone is a reason to buy it. My DA broke and autogeek sent me a new one. also GG is more powerful than the pc, it just has more amps.

imo if your just waxing and you don't have a machine just do it by hand. its really not that much faster with a machine, but since I have a DA i always wax with it. don't bother with those store bought buffers, they are underpowered and really don't correct paint at all. Theres a saying, "you buy cheap, you buy twice"

for pads i like the 5.5" hydro pads. they work great, finish well, cut well ad when you need extra cutting power put on the surbuff pads and m105(get 1 or 2 packs). i like megs polishes, i have never been disappointed by them and ultimate compound and m205 are cheap. buy 2-4 hydro pads in each colour and a 5" backing plate. buying all of this will run you what 220-250 dollars and be a lot more effective than that pc menzena kit.

edit for wax i like collnite 845 or 3m performance finish(its a sealant). I apply 2-3 pea size dots and do 2 passes at speed 3.5 with a fairly fast arm speed for each body panel.

john b
03-31-2011, 02:18 AM
excelent advice,the thing i like about megs is that you can buy there stuff anywhere from 8 oz. to a gallon and imo they really got it goin on with there otc products to

Silverstone
03-31-2011, 04:14 AM
I did my first machine correction last summer and I simply bought the PC-XP, plus orange, white and red pads for the two basic levels of correction I'd need to do, plus waxing - and then the polishes and wax to make it all happen. I chose Menzerna intensive and micro polishes, plus WGDGPS. The results I got were stunning. More than I expected for my first time out.

I later added Menzerna PO85rd, which for my gray paint was a little hard to notice after the other two polishes, but it'll be a great way to maintain the paint yearly without stripping too much clear coat..
I've since added a couple of pads to the collection but that basic kit served, and will serve me well.

JefriLay
03-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Just check out this link
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/34238-result-full-detailing-check-out.html
On the thread above there are some product I've been using for the beginner, and I want to remind you that it's better to clean the surface first and then polish it for swirls removal and the begin to wax it for the maintenance. Hope it help!!!

Shawn T.
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
I really like Megs stuff. A lot of stuff I need is OTC, very well priced, easy to find, great results. :xyxthumbs:

StoneRaizer
03-31-2011, 09:44 AM
FYI, you can get stuff that's as good or better than OTC for roughly the same price. Optimum makes a fantastic line of products that are cost-friendly, high quality and the customer service is excellent.

Some products I can personally recommend:

- Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel - Nice satin, low-sheen, "like new" look on tires
- Optimum No Rinse - The most versatile product a detailer can have. 100% MUST own.
- Optimum Polish II - Good cut, no dusting, great working time, but has probably been obsoleted by their new Spray Polish.
- Optimum PoliSeal - Nice AIO cleaner/polish/sealant. Great for quick jobs.

I'm planning on adding several more Optimum products to my arsenal, like Hyper Compound Spray, Protectant Plus, Power Clean and maybe Instant Detailer.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with anything Optimum makes.

Bunky
03-31-2011, 10:39 AM
The kits do not have enough pads. You should at least 3 of each polishing pad.

I would start with a minimal kit like this

If you’re in the market for a dual action polisher, look no further than the Porter Cable 7424! (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-pad-kit.html)

and then pick up extra pads and polishes.

Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html)

Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice! (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html)

meiwah98
04-01-2011, 12:31 AM
many thanks...

jimmyjam
04-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Welcome meiwah98,
Hope you find all the great advice from all the knowledgeable members useful/beneficial!! :dblthumb2:

Setec Astronomy
04-01-2011, 05:49 AM
You haven't had much to say so far, so it's hard to tell really what you're trying to do with your 5 cars or what condition they are in. As other members have noted...you don't really need a machine if you just want to "wax" your cars. If somehow they are in excellent condition you can just use a nice, easy to apply/remove "wax" and be done.

I'm going to surmise that these cars are not perfect and are going to need a good washing, a good claying...and then where do you go from there? You can just "wax" them, but if you want to use a machine, why don't you use an AIO product like Klasse AIO, Optimum Poli-Seal or one of the Duragloss polishes? Since I'm guessing you'll only be doing one car at a time, I think you'll only need 2 or 3 pads (depending on how dirty the paint is) and I'd go for the Tangerine Hydro-Techs, and the previous suggestion of Poli-Seal followed later by OCW or Opti-Seal.

To recap, 3 Tangerine pads, PCXP, 8oz Poli-Seal, 17oz OCW =$179, plus clay and some towels, and you should be able to vastly improve your stable of cars. If you're really on a budget, I just saw some usable Microtex towels at Wal-Mart, they are yellow and called "detailing" towels, I think they were $2.99 for a 2-pack.

meiwah98
04-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Yes, too many cars and they do need more than just wash and waxing. I've been hand waxing all my life; but if I am going to spend the time to wax, know is the time to jump in and take care of swirl marks too.

With that in mind, now I am torn between the PC7424xp, OR the Griots machine. Hard to find which machine is more popular and/or which one has a clear advantage for entry level first time users like myself.

Youtube videos show advantages to both; would appreciate anyone chiming in and give their two cents.

Thanks.

Matt575
04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Do a google search for the GG and spend some time on that. I guarantee you'll find it for $30-$40 cheaper than the PCXP. I did and it arrived today (AG price matched it).

Lasthope05
04-02-2011, 12:40 AM
If it was me and I would have to start all over again(with a DA) on a budget I would go with the following for paint correction.

Griots DA - $90
5" backing plate - $17
6 pk LC Flat pads- $35 (3 orange/2 white/1 black)
2- 5.5" 2pk surbuffs $24
Megs UC/SwirlX - $16-19 (walmart has good prices)

Total = $185ish

With that you will be able to tackle almost anything that is thrown at you. Surbuff/UC is a really aggressive defect killer and UC with the foam pads would be the regular. Sams club has some decent MF towels, $10 for 20 iirc. Dont really know what else your looking to get.

Sure Menz/Optimum/WG..etc polishes all look tempting and good but so many people fail to realize the amount of correction you get with the two polishes above are phenomenal. Everybody on this forum that I see are always quick to reply M105/M205/85rd but as good as those polishes are its not always the best choices for them. Not everybody is looking for 100% correction, nor is it even feasible for daily drivers. With so many recommending 85rd, I feel like its getting out of hand and people are actually regurgitating what they read. Dont get me wrong, 85rd is a great finishing polish but it doesn't always add much to the over all finish except on darker colors, and even then it takes a discerning eye to notice it.

atoy
04-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Have you look into Megs Microfiber System??