PDA

View Full Version : Questioning Peoples Expertise?!?!!?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Bates Detailing
03-29-2011, 11:51 PM
So I have been on here for a few months now and have realized that experience wise I am more than up to par with many members on here. Over the last month I have noticed a large amount of members answering questions that they have not experienced first hand..... and those answers are off key (from threads that were read) - even if by a minuet amount that is enough to give someone the wrong impression in the direction of even damaging vehicles.

So please...... only answer threads with personal experience guys!!!!!!!!!! Makes me wonder about the things that I did learn from this site months ago! Do I drop it all and start over?!?!?!?

WEST SIDE
03-30-2011, 12:32 AM
So I have been on here for a few months now and have realized that experience wise I am more than up to par with many members on here. Over the last month I have noticed a large amount of members answering questions that they have not experienced first hand..... and those answers are off key (from threads that were read) - even if by a minuet amount that is enough to give someone the wrong impression in the direction of even damaging vehicles.

So please...... only answer threads with personal experience guys!!!!!!!!!! Makes me wonder about the things that I did learn from this site months ago! Do I drop it all and start over?!?!?!?

I'm not a detailer but i generally agree with you.Opinions are one thing and experience is learned.I mainly lurk for general information for my own personnel use and unless i can give an answer based upon experience i leave it to others.

Bates Detailing
03-30-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm not a detailer but i generally agree with you.Opinions are one thing and experience is learned.I mainly lurk for general information for my own personnel use and unless i can give an answer based upon experience i leave it to others.

Sweet, was wondering if someone was going to reply to this thread...... and your response is on key :dblthumb2:...... I responded to a thread recently about concrete on paint..... I stated that I pulled the info that I posted from another thread - why ? cause I had never ran into that situation before. Plus, I will not say "use this" if I have never used it before - kind of putting your name and rep on the line.

Rsurfer
03-30-2011, 12:40 AM

The problem is what works for some may not work for others.

builthatch
03-30-2011, 12:48 AM

obviously, but i think what he's saying is don't issue info as working for you if you haven't in fact personally done whatever it is you are saying. and rehashing info from others is fine if the source is a legitimate source, but please note it as such vs. acting as if it is coming from you.

this is my main detailing forum, but i think the general increase in the popularity of AG as a whole, and the growth of detailing/boutique product lines has brought to the forum a whole new element of users over the past year.

this forum wasn't necessarily like "this" when i joined or even after the first year or so of my being here.

regardless, it will remain my main detailing forum. i like Mike Phillips a lot, i think it is great that Optimum Chris spends the time he does and i like the willingness of many of the users to try new items and help others.

C. Charles Hahn
03-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Personally my policy is to try to make it clear when I am offering an opinion/recommendation based on prior experiences vs. one based on something I read or using "educated speculation."

I think the bigger problem I've seen is with people who may have tried something and achieved success with it once or twice, but don't realize what they're doing is dangerous or that they're playing with fire. The advice they give is sound in their own minds, but because they're uninformed as to the risks involved in their methods it takes others to step in and set the record straight in those instances.

The rule of thumb as I see it is to take anything you read online with a grain of salt, apply a little common sense logic to your evaluation of each piece of advice you are given, and when in doubt don't be afraid to approach someone you know for sure has a reputation in the real world (as opposed to just the forum world) and ask them to tell you if something is procedurally valid or not.

It's like Mike Phillips always says, "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."

:props:

Bates Detailing
03-30-2011, 12:54 AM

Not what I am talking about whatsoever..... I have seen people on here question a certain method.... see them get answered in a thread..... and within a day answer an equivalent question from someone else - an obvious "has not tried, but will repeat what they were told yesterday response"

I played a game in KINDERGARTEN - where our class lined up..... one person told a secret in the others ear : by the time it got through 20 kid's ears, the secret was COMPLETELY different from the original..... this will happen here as well..... if it hasn't happened a thousand times already. A slight tweak each thread after 20 threads is a huge misconception from the original thread.

Jons6.7
03-30-2011, 01:01 AM
So what your saying is that working on black cars is easy and should be done in the hot sun by someone with a rotatory that thinks you pick tools biased on color not function.

Got it and will give it a try and make sure I tell others how this is the professorial way to detail.

Errr did you mean not too?

93fox
03-30-2011, 01:01 AM
the times i have shared my own experience with certain things i for sure dont go telling people to do it. i post it here to show what i have achieved and for them to go try it out if they wish. its like the baby oil method thing, i read it, and decided to give it a shot. it worked for me but when i posted it worked for me i got rocks thrown at. hell, some people who haven't even tried it were saying i shouldn't be doing it! but i totally agree with not telling people to do something when you haven't done it.

ExoticAutoDetai
03-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Not what I am talking about whatsoever..... I have seen people on here question a certain method.... see them get answered in a thread..... and within a day answer an equivalent question from someone else - an obvious "has not tried, but will repeat what they were told yesterday response"

I played a game in KINDERGARTEN - where our class lined up..... one person told a secret in the others ear : by the time it got through 20 kid's ears, the secret was COMPLETELY different from the original..... this will happen here as well..... if it hasn't happened a thousand times already. A slight tweak each thread after 20 threads is a huge misconception from the original thread.

I have played the same game :) by the way what was the secret?

"You can help create your own luck, you can make things happen through hard work and intelligence."- Donald J. Trump

Bates Detailing
03-30-2011, 01:02 AM
So what your saying is that working on black cars is easy and should be done in the hot sun by someone with a rotatory that thinks you pick tools biased on color not function.

Got it and will give it a try and make sure I tell others how this is the professorial way to detail.

Errr did you mean not too?

UH?!!?!? Im super confused by this comment lol?!?!?!?!

Bates Detailing
03-30-2011, 01:06 AM
the times i have shared my own experience with certain things i for sure dont go telling people to do it. i post it here to show what i have achieved and for them to go try it out if they wish. its like the baby oil method thing, i read it, and decided to give it a shot. it worked for me but when i posted it worked for me i got rocks thrown at. hell, some people who haven't even tried it were saying i shouldn't be doing it! but i totally agree with not telling people to do something when you haven't done it.

If you have done it - share it :dblthumb2:

I have played the same game :) by the way what was the secret?

"You can help create your own luck, you can make things happen through hard work and intelligence."- Donald J. Trump

Hell - I have no clue lol! That was a lifetime ago - all I remember was that it had something to do with a monkey and it was WAY off the original secret...... one of those things that I actually learned as a kid.

ExoticAutoDetai
03-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Have you ever notice moms are like that too lol. You tell them something later on they want to retell the story they end up saying it a different way. Lol well my mother is like that somethimes. But I have notice others are like that too I don't know why lol

ExoticAutoDetai
03-30-2011, 01:11 AM
I bet the secret was Tony got the cooties lol

93fox
03-30-2011, 01:12 AM
If you have done it - share it :dblthumb2:

Hell - I have no clue lol! That was a lifetime ago - all I remember was that it had something to do with a monkey and it was WAY off the original secret...... one of those things that I actually learned as a kid.

the things got so out of hand on the thread i started stating my experience with baby oil that it even got closed. everyone was saying that it would cause the paint to swell, even Jason Rose from meguiars had said it. but i went on it and did and so far, after nearly 2 months, there has been no paint swelling. Im waiting for a good shiny day to take pictures and post it here to show there was no paint swelling. Ive used it on two cars so far and no paint swelling. but apparently those who hadn't even tried it were just so sure of what they were saying. :argue: