PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

kjimpressions
03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Ok, so I have a client with two 35 foot rv's that he wants me to detail the outsides of. Now i have never done an rv and have a couple questions.

1. can i buff it like a regular vehicle?
2. what pad and products should i use for oxidation removal. i will be using the flex pe-14.

Any advice helps. i just dont wanna mess up some expensive RV's.

kjimpressions
03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
please. can someone give some advice?

jamores23
03-30-2011, 01:01 PM
i believe you can buff it like a normal vehicle. you can use bigger pads for large flat surface . do a test spot to see how aggressive you got to go to remove to oxidation you should be good with a orange pad but i'd have to see pics. try a orange pad with a compound if that doesnt work use a more aggressive pad with same compound. and then as always follow it up with less aggressive pads to remove buffer marks! hope this helps. btw, what products/pads do you have?

kjimpressions
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I honestly have basically every products you can think of. I usually stick to 3m compounds and menzerna polishes. i just wanna do a 1 step to the rv. the owner isnt looking for a show car kind of finish. just oxidation removal.

James K
03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Mike put a thread up a week or so ago about an rv he did. I will try to find it.

kjimpressions
03-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Thank you so much

Kristopher1129
03-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Well for starters...you can not treat it with auto detailing products.

Yes, some may work...but you are dealing with soft gel coat on RVs. I've done many RVs before.

Hopefully your not dealing with any oxidation. If you are...then you're gonna need a couple days, ha. 90% of the RVs I do, I just do a one step polish/sealant.

You want to use a fiberglass wax or sealant. Use a soft pad like the LC white pad, and apply your wax with a DA. Then just wipe clean. You should be able to this all around. You will run into uncoated fiberglass most likely. You can tell by its chalky appearance. I typically do a one step polish on that with Meguiars Oxidation Remover, then slap some sealant/wax on.

Also, most RVs tend to have aluminum rims. If you don't have it already...Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean makes quick work of those rims, and looks fantastic. Hope this helped!

And oh yeah, you're gonna need either scaffolding, or a ladder of some sort. I use a portable scaffold I got from Home Depot. Here's a picture of me using it...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/61838_434891419926_106866159926_4696837_1661261_n. jpg

Bates Detailing
03-30-2011, 10:38 PM
It also depends on what surface you run into - Do you know if they are painted/gel coat/fiberglass/aluminum siding?!?!?! These all have different procedures obviously and outcomes. Best thing to do is go to a "local" RV repair and sells shop and check out their products on their shelves. Also, be sure to charge accordingly man! If he wants you to clean and seal the roof..... that is a tedious job! The sealing is cake.... but cleaning a rubber roof can be a pain.

Got my first sun burn of the year cleaning a rubber roof about a week ago lol!

Bates Detailing
03-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Ok, so I have a client with two 35 foot rv's that he wants me to detail the outsides of. Now i have never done an rv and have a couple questions.

1. can i buff it like a regular vehicle?
2. what pad and products should i use for oxidation removal. i will be using the flex pe-14.

Any advice helps. i just dont wanna mess up some expensive RV's.

Did he specifically ask for you to polish them?!?!?!? 99% of the RV/trailers I get just want a thorough wash and wax cleaning/ awnings cleaned and protected / and roof cleaned and sealed. And this isn't cheap!

jamores23
03-31-2011, 06:16 AM
so kris what products would you use on a rv other than the megs ox removal ?? what sealant and wax?

CrownKote
03-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Well for starters...you can not treat it with auto detailing products.

Yes, some may work...but you are dealing with soft gel coat on RVs. I've done many RVs before.

Hopefully your not dealing with any oxidation. If you are...then you're gonna need a couple days, ha. 90% of the RVs I do, I just do a one step polish/sealant.

You want to use a fiberglass wax or sealant. Use a soft pad like the LC white pad, and apply your wax with a DA. Then just wipe clean. You should be able to this all around. You will run into uncoated fiberglass most likely. You can tell by its chalky appearance. I typically do a one step polish on that with Meguiars Oxidation Remover, then slap some sealant/wax on.

Also, most RVs tend to have aluminum rims. If you don't have it already...Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean makes quick work of those rims, and looks fantastic. Hope this helped!

And oh yeah, you're gonna need either scaffolding, or a ladder of some sort. I use a portable scaffold I got from Home Depot. Here's a picture of me using it...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/61838_434891419926_106866159926_4696837_1661261_n. jpg

Did he specifically ask for you to polish them?!?!?!? 99% of the RV/trailers I get just want a thorough wash and wax cleaning/ awnings cleaned and protected / and roof cleaned and sealed. And this isn't cheap!

Just curious as to your guy's charges for RV's I have a few clients that have called me asking about the pricing and I have yet to give them a price as I have been searching for some info on this... I was thinking about $500-600 for the wash, wax, and awnings, all the glass, and the wheels/aluminum trim.

Is this a good starting point or am I way out of the park?

OP sorry for the intrusion on the post...

Kristopher1129
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Just curious as to your guy's charges for RV's I have a few clients that have called me asking about the pricing and I have yet to give them a price as I have been searching for some info on this... I was thinking about $500-600 for the wash, wax, and awnings, all the glass, and the wheels/aluminum trim.

I charge $12 a foot for just polishing in a sealant. I should be charging a lot more, so I don't think you are out of line. I'm actually going to change my prices around for RVs really soon. I think $500-$600 is good considering your doing the awnings, windows, wheels, etc. You could even ask more if you wanted to. When I do my exteriors I don't touch the awnings.

Bates Detailing
03-31-2011, 09:59 AM

I start my basic at $5 a linear foot, wash and wax (soap and bucket/no hand wax) $7 a linear foot, goes up from there for adding awnings - roof - etc.

I wing it most of the time but always start with the minimum of $5 a linear foot. If I know I will have one of my guys with me I may charge 250 to 300 for a wash n wax , awnings, and roof - only because with 2 people it takes about 4 hours to do +- an hour depending on size and or class. Which makes a descent morning or afternoon profit. If Im by myself - I charge a bit more. Ive got an exact price list somewhere laying around from last year but never use it lol.

kjimpressions
03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
The rv's have severe oxidation and i sold my DA polisher and bought the Flex pe 14-2. Its an older rv and i have no idea what kind of coating it has. im charging $400 for the outside which is about 12 per linear foot.

Im nervous i wont get good results though. i bought some stuff at my local stor for oxidation on rv's but im still not so sold its gonna work.

Kristopher1129
03-31-2011, 10:39 AM
The rv's have severe oxidation and i sold my DA polisher and bought the Flex pe 14-2. Its an older rv and i have no idea what kind of coating it has. im charging $400 for the outside which is about 12 per linear foot.

Im nervous i wont get good results though. i bought some stuff at my local stor for oxidation on rv's but im still not so sold its gonna work.

One thing you may want to do. Is just stress that this will take an undertermined amount of time to the customer. The very last thing you want on a job like that...is the customer breathing down your neck.

Don't be nervous. They are easy to work with. Much easier than working on clear coated paint, cause it's not as hard. If it's oxidized...I highly recommend Meguiars Oxidation Remover. It also leaves oils and protection for the fiberglass. So you could do it in one step if need be.

Anytime I get an oxidized RV, that is my go-to product. It works great with a soft finishing pad, and finishes really nice. Customer will be psyched! You'll need more than one bottle though. I always buy the case of 6. You can even use it on the uncoated areas. BUT, like B&B mentioned....we don't know what finish we are working with. I'm just assuming it's like most RVs I've done and have a soft gel coat over the fiberglass.

We are here to help you out, I'm sure B&B will be watching this thread as well. I check the forum throughout the day.

When you get the vehicle...give us some photos! That will help us give you solid advice on how to get the vehicle done right the first time, in a timely manner so you're not digging yourself a hole. :dblthumb2: