PDA

View Full Version : Flex3401 vs Griot's Garage 6" ROP

Pages : [1] 2

jimmyjam
03-29-2011, 02:53 AM
We have allot of new members trying to all the information possible regarding DAs & Flex3401, and with the http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2152_39205979 (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2152_39118297)http://ep.yimg.com/ca/Img/trans_1x1.gifMeguiars DA Microfiber Correction System
the Griot's grabbing allot of attention!
So what's the pro/cons and lets have a real informative thread. All opinions have to be respected so our new members get honest insight without pressure. New/Senior members please chime in with questions/answers for us all. We have members experienced with both machines that have a ton of information, and are more than willing to help out with most questions.....:xyxthumbs:

sohail99
03-29-2011, 04:53 AM
IMO Flex would work better on curves or tight spots where GG polisher will stop rotating(due to forced drive)

Thats one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to the flex 3401

Harleyguy
03-29-2011, 08:55 AM
IMO Flex would work better on curves or tight spots where GG polisher will stop rotating(due to forced drive)

Thats one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to the flex 3401 I have yet to stop a GG from rotating . Used one Sunday doing a demo with Bob from Griots I leaned onto the machine so hard I almost compressed the pad so the Backing plate was close to the hood and it never stopped spinning . As far as the MF system the GG would be a better machine to use . Everyone that I spoke to so far have gotten better results with a Da versus the Flex 3401 . Micro Fiber system likes slow arm movement and light pressure .

jimmyjam
03-29-2011, 09:32 AM
I have yet to stop a GG from rotating . Used one Sunday doing a demo with Bob from Griots I leaned onto the machine so hard I almost compressed the pad so the Backing plate was close to the hood and it never stopped spinning . As far as the MF system the GG would be a better machine to use . Everyone that I spoke to so far have gotten better results with a Da versus the Flex 3401 . Micro Fiber system likes slow arm movement and light pressure .

Hi Adam,
Do you think the GG 6 has more vibration than the Flex? Do you see the GG 6 taking dominance in the DA sect. with the MF DA system? Without the MF DA system what benifets does the GG 6 have over the Flex3401?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-29-2011, 09:32 AM

This is a good point. On curved panels, the 3401 exceeds, bar none. On flat panels, the GG is MORE than powerful. Technique needs to be adjusted more with the GG than the 3401, IMO. However, when I use my GG with the MF system, I have yet to find the cut and finish of *anything* I've tried on the 3401, that includes Surbuf/M105. The GG EASILY works better with the MF System compared to the 3401.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi Adam,
Do you think the GG 6 has more vibration than the Flex? Do you see the GG 6 taking dominance in the DA sect. with the MF DA system? Without the MF DA system what benifets does the GG 6 have over the Flex3401?
Yes, the GG does have more vibration than the 3401, but not as bad as the PCXP. Any traditional DA is better with the MF System because the forced rotation of the 3401 causes the fibers to lay flat when polishing. This is the exact opposite of what you want with these types of pads(and surbuf). The traditional DA does a much better job of not flattening the fibers, that's why it works better with the MF system.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Here is a good expanation from Todd Helme....

Random Orbital DA's do not have a fixed rate of OPM's vs. RPM. Take any of the newer style DA's and run them at speed six (which is usually rated between 6000-6800 OPM). Press down VERY hard on the paint, to the point the pad stalls or almost stalls. If you press down just right you can get the pad to spin at a greatly slowed rate, like 1 time per minute. While the orbits will stall slightly, most of the slack/friction is taken up in the bearing of the machine. You have created a rate of 6800 (roughly) per rotation.

Forced Rotation DA's have a fixed rate. The orbit is actually driven by the rotation, so that if the rotation stalls, so does the OPM, and vice a versa. In regards to the Flex, you are correct. The Flex orbits ten times per rotation and this never changes. This is easy to verify, spin the pad 1 time around and count the orbits, it is always ten.

This means that at maximum speed the Flex is limited to 4800 OPM. (480 RPM x 10 orbits per rotation). Flex uses a 'unique' way of rating the machine, but if we are comparing apples to apples then random orbital DA's produce more OPMs and are less likely to have the OPM rate stall (since the motor is not responsible spinning the big pad).

Now with most polishing systems and with foam pads, the Flex is going to produce more cutting power because it is a forced system and correction is dependent on how fast the foam is moving across the paint. The combination of a forced, high speed rotation, and the orbital motion means you transfering more energy to the paint.

Things get flipped around a little bit when you use something like a Surbuf or Meguiar's DA microfiber system. The texure (little fingers or the microfiber tuft) of the pad makes it more efficent with the orbital motion than with a rotational motion.

When something is orbiting it is like moving your hand in tiny circles (wax on/wax off). This exposes ALL of the microfiber (or micro finger)'s sides to the paint. Since the abrasive grains in the polish attach to the microfiber, the increase in surface area (and the amount of abrasives working) means that most of polishing action is coming from the orbital motion instead of the spinning motion.

In fact too much spinning motion is a BAD thing (hence Meguiar's recommending a SLOWER speed for the DA system). This is because spinning the pad too fast will cause centrifugal force to pull the fibers outward and cause them to lay flat. Down you just have a standard sized pad vs. a pad that is using all of it's surface area (and far less abrasives are being used at a given time).

This is why many people are getting better results using random orbitals instead of forced rotation machines when using products like the Microfiber DA disks (or Surbuff's).

Hope this makes sense and clears up any confusion.

LuxuryMobile
03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
That is a good post, should help to explain why the Flex isn't the best machine for the new Meguiar's system.

jimmyjam
03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Makes total sense and with the MF system I believe it makes non forced DAs more appealing to those in the market for one. I knw as for me my next purchase will have a GG6/MF DA system. I'm still Flex "headed" with the idea that there's no replacing the Flex, but I'm now open minded....Ha

BobbyG
03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Makes total sense and with the MF system I believe it makes non forced DAs more appealing to those in the market for one. I knw as for me my next purchase will have a GG6/MF DA system. I'm still Flex "headed" with the idea that there's no replacing the Flex, but I'm now open minded....Ha

Jimmy,

I have bot the Flex 3401 and Porter Cables 7424 so I think I'm all set for now....:props:

jimmyjam
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Jimmy,

I have bot the Flex 3401 and Porter Cables 7424 so I think I'm all set for now....:props:

Hey Bobby,
After the MF pads came out I kinda started to feel left out...:cry: lol

Harleyguy
03-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks Mark for answering JimmyJam questions . Only thing I can say at this point Jimmy is go with what you feel right with . But IMO stick with what Mark Said his owned all the machines out there and tested plenty of products using all types of combos of pads and compunds .

WRAPT C5Z06
03-29-2011, 11:29 AM

You think YOU were Flex "headed", well, for those that know me, I wouldn't budge on the 3401, until now. The DA MF is truly revolutionary, IMO. However, with the DA MF system, in order to make it most efficient, it's very important not to work too fast. You don't have to move the polisher like a snail, but you can't have rapid arm speed either. The 3401 is still an outstanding polisher and WISHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it worked well with the DA MF system, but it doesn't. :(

Thanks Mark for answering JimmyJam questions . Only thing I can say at this point Jimmy is go with what you feel right with . But IMO stick with what Mark Said his owned all the machines out there and tested plenty of products using all types of combos of pads and compunds .
Thanks Adam, yet I still don't know how to use a rotary very well. :laughing: When it comes to DA's, yes, I tried them all with different combos. You got to try the GG DA, how do you like it? Honestly...

jimmyjam
03-29-2011, 06:07 PM
You think YOU were Flex "headed", well, for those that know me, I wouldn't budge on the 3401, until now. The DA MF is truly revolutionary, IMO. However, with the DA MF system, in order to make it most efficient, it's very important not to work too fast. You don't have to move the polisher like a snail, but you can't have rapid arm speed either. The 3401 is still an outstanding polisher and WISHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it worked well with the DA MF system, but it doesn't. :(

Thanks Adam, yet I still don't know how to use a rotary very well. :laughing: When it comes to DA's, yes, I tried them all with different combos. You got to try the GG DA, how do you like it? Honestly...

Thanks Marky Mark!

bmwgeek
03-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I can't stand the vibrations of the 7424xp @ speed 5. Maybe I should switch to the Griot's Garage one.