PDA

View Full Version : How do you polish Hot Rod Flat Black Paint?

blac2k8cs
03-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I am curious how you go about polishing this paint since it does not have a clear coat on it. Any one have any experience with this type of paint? I had the cowl portion on my car painted in this color. I am still learning and not quite ready to start doing this on my own yet, just looking for info. Thanks!

Crazy Amos
03-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Yep, you would polish it just like you would cleared paint. I recommend some M80 speed glaze followed by some M07 Show Car Glaze topped with (forgot the number) Hi Tech Wax.

Crazy Amos
03-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Don't be alarmed when your pads turn black, it's normal-it's just transfer.

Lasthope05
03-28-2011, 09:30 PM
No. Do not polish it at all unless you want a semi gloss/satin black paint. The same goes for any other type of flat look be it paint or vinyl. Once you have burnished/polished flat colors it is near impossible to return it back to its original look. Your best bet is to just cover it up and leave it alone when polishing the rest of the car.

C. Charles Hahn
03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
No. Do not polish it at all unless you want a semi gloss/satin black paint. The same goes for any other type of flat look be it paint or vinyl. Once you have burnished/polished flat colors it is near impossible to return it back to its original look. Your best bet is to just cover it up and leave it alone when polishing the rest of the car.

:iagree: Listen to this advice... you don't polish flat paint if it is meant to be flat.

LuxuryMobile
03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Yep don't polish, unless the owner wants you to add gloss. Which probably isn't the case.

Transcendent
03-28-2011, 10:01 PM
I ran into this type of paint about a month ago on a Harley Night Train. Entire bike was flat i had never done this type of paint before so i read everything i could find on it and even called my detailing god. Everything i read said don't even try correction on it and deffenitly dont polish or wax it. Harley said don't even use soap on it just plain water and elbow grease. So i did just that and polished up the chrome and it came out real nice.

sullysdetailing
03-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Do not polish any type of flat paint you will ruin it. Leave it the way it is.

AeroCleanse
03-28-2011, 11:17 PM
As mentioned, its not a good idea to polish it. I do know Swissvax makes some products specifically for matt finish paint.

blac2k8cs
03-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Ok here is a photo. It does'nt look completely flat. It is the cowl portion.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo_26.jpg

Crazy Amos
03-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Ditto on what they said, didnt realize it was "flat" paint.

Guess that's what you get when you don't read the whole question thoroughly while tryig to put your daughter to bed.....

Sorry about that OP, thought it was a regular single stage.

Hops no hard feelings. But if you ever come across a regular single stage, the products I stated above will work nicely.