PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question for my Taco

hollerstiltner
03-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey guys! I'm the proud owner of a new Magnetic Grey Tacoma and want to do my best to keep it beautiful. Seeing as I've never had professional advice, just from friends and so on I want the experts opinion. So here's what I have planned for paint thus far and you guys tell me what I need to do extra as long as it's not too advanced.

I'm wanting to clay it with the Mother's clay bars, seal it with DP Poli-Seal, then go over that with DP max wax. Seem like a good combo for a beginner and a dark grey truck? I'm wondering if the Poli-Seal would work on the chrome trim around the grill (doesn't seem to be a true auto paint).

From what I've searched this should give me good looks and protection, but I'm also open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris

Flash Gordon
03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Hey guys! I'm the proud owner of a new Magnetic Grey Tacoma and want to do my best to keep it beautiful. Seeing as I've never had professional advice, just from friends and so on I want the experts opinion. So here's what I have planned for paint thus far and you guys tell me what I need to do extra as long as it's not too advanced.

I'm wanting to clay it with the Mother's clay bars, seal it with DP Poli-Seal, then go over that with DP max wax. Seem like a good combo for a beginner and a dark grey truck? I'm wondering if the Poli-Seal would work on the chrome trim around the grill (doesn't seem to be a true auto paint).

From what I've searched this should give me good looks and protection, but I'm also open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like a solid plan to me

Dr Oldz
03-28-2011, 09:04 PM
It sounds like a good plan! I would suggest a paint cleanser after claying and before sealing. These are two that I like very much.

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html)

P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser car polish - This pre-wax cleaner and polish is a German blend of quality ingredients that will make wax (http://www.autogeek.net/p2paincleanl.html)

cobalt9123
03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
I love that color..be sure to post pictures!

hollerstiltner
03-29-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks guys! Sounds like I'm on the right track so I'll be placing my order soon.

Dr. Oldz, thanks for the polish recs. I've never used one so I'm hoping it works out well. Think using it by hand will cause any issues for me? I'm thinking of ordering on in sample size from here, I hope there's enough in there for one truck.

Dr Oldz
03-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys! Sounds like I'm on the right track so I'll be placing my order soon.

Dr. Oldz, thanks for the polish recs. I've never used one so I'm hoping it works out well. Think using it by hand will cause any issues for me? I'm thinking of ordering on in sample size from here, I hope there's enough in there for one truck.

They both work extremely well by hand! I don't think a sample will be enough however.

ScubaCougr
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Probably not needed on a brand-new rig but as it accumulates hazing and fine cobweb-scratches you might add a glaze like Poorboy's Black Hole as a first step before the sealant.

My red Taco loves this approach, and it cuts way down on machine polishing.

hollerstiltner
03-29-2011, 08:17 PM
I was wondering if it would be of any benefit on a new truck. After work I looked over mine and so far knock on wood I didn't see any obvious imperfections. So for now it looks like this weekend (if it's pretty out) will be wash, clay, wash, seal and wax.

I can't wait to see how it looks afterwards.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Chris