PDA

View Full Version : good gel coat compound?

BuffworkzMD
03-28-2011, 07:49 PM
I was wandering if anybody has used the optimum compound on gel coat. I'm getting into boat detailing & i'm currently using 3M machine compound w/ a wool pad. I was looking something I can buy in bulk & that has a little more work time before drying. I like how the optimum stays wet to prevent dry buffing. I have herd 3M imperial was good too. Suggestions?

I have some Menzerna power gloss i'm going to try, just wanted some more opinions based off experience.

Thanks! Feed back please

Flash Gordon
03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
I was wandering if anybody has used the optimum compound on gel coat. I'm getting into boat detailing & i'm currently using 3M machine compound w/ a wool pad. I was looking something I can buy in bulk & that has a little more work time before drying. I like how the optimum stays wet to prevent dry buffing. I have herd 3M imperial was good too. Suggestions?

I have some Menzerna power gloss i'm going to try, just wanted some more opinions based off experience.

Thanks! Feed back please

The 3M compound should work nice on your Gel Coat. If it trys to dry out to fast, mist the pad with water

Garry Dean
03-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Look into Four Star Products. They are some of the best products in the business for gelcoat correction.

Flash Gordon
03-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Look into Four Star Products. They are some of the best products in the business for gelcoat correction.

^^^ Garry works on a ton of boats. He probally has as much expierence as anyone here working with gel coats

Perfections
03-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Mezerna PG works great with a rotary to get the oxidation out, Meg's Marine 1 step compound is nice, OPT Compound works great, the new Meg's D/A system is slower but works wonderfully. As a matter of fact all the compounds I've used have worked great lol. The Collinite #920 does a great job at pulling out mild oxidation and prepping the surface for wax. Just use the Meg's MF compound pad with it, spreads it super thin which with Collinite products is key to being able to get them off :) The Collinite #870 is a great one step for hulls. And the Collinite #925 is crazy protection, just spread it thin! As mentioned before Gel Coat labs makes great products aswell, and can be bought in bulk. But I'll tell you what I've waxed 4 boats this pasted week and am only 2/3 way through a bottle of Collinite #925

Heres a pic of the d/a system 50/50 no tape line but you should be able to look at my arms and see the difference in clarity

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/mojosuperhero/DSC03904.jpg

Finished up

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/mojosuperhero/DSC03914.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/mojosuperhero/DSC03920.jpg

Gurge
03-29-2011, 10:33 AM
this wouldn't replace a real compounding job, but as a one stepper, you may want to check out xmt360.

my polishing of boats is limited, but i was pretty impressed with these results this past weekend

oh and obviously this boat is beat up to begin with. so improvement was the goal over perfection

Crazy Amos
03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey Perfections, what products did you use on that boat? It looks really good.

Perfections
03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Hey Perfections, what products did you use on that boat? It looks really good.

On the black part of the sides I used Meg's 6" mf d/a cutting disc and compound, on the white part of the sides I used Meg's marine 1 step compound + rotary with a Meg's burgandy disc, on the hull used Meg's mf d/a cutting disc with Collinite #870 as a one step, LSP was Collinite #925 applied with Meg's mf d/a finishing disc, Im just trying the d/a system out on as many surfaces as I can, personally I felt it was a little slower then my normal approach with a rotary, but the end result was very nice and thats really what Im after :)

Crazy Amos
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Excellent, thank you for the thorough response.

Perfections
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Excellent, thank you for the thorough response.

Np anytime :)

BuffworkzMD
03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Nice! thanks for the info. I'll check em out.

BuffworkzMD
03-29-2011, 07:31 PM

cool deal, ill check em out. thanks!