PDA

View Full Version : need D.A polisher and pad input

poweraid
03-28-2011, 07:35 PM
hello, im just getting into detailing more seriously, just a do-it-at-home guy. i currently just bought a pc7424xp. i am having 2nd thoughts of this vs. the flex xc3401. my pc is unused and i can still return it. the only thing holding me back is the price of the flex. could use some input of people satisfied/unsatisfied with the pc and flex. also need input on pad selection. i currently got 6.5 inch lc ccs pads. i see some comments to use 5.5 inch pads and/or even the flat pads. i have a 5 inch b.p. i have the light green and gray pads. i will be using xmt360 and collinite. could use some help with pad size selection and which pad to use. please help.

silverfox
03-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Although the FLEX polisher gets a lot of kudos on here (and rightfully so), you can do some pretty amazing things with a Porter cable DA polisher (just ask the guys using the new Meg's MF DA correction system). Plus the PC is great for laying down glaze or wax or sealant in my opinion.

I see no need to return your PC....but yes, the 6.5" pads are only useful for putting down wax or sealant. If you want to do paint correction or serious polishing with a PC, get some flat, thin 5.5" pads. I love the Hydro Tech low profile pads...and yes the new Megs MF pads are pretty incredible too.

You purchased a great polisher...now get out there and start enjoying your purchase.

poweraid
03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
r the lc ccs pads not flat or r u stating to get the ones with out the dimples

poweraid
03-28-2011, 07:58 PM
lc flat pads have like a rounded edge i think is that what u r refering to?

silverfox
03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
The flat pads with no dimples....however the CCS pads (the ones with the dimples) will work too...but I think you waste too much product with the dimpled pads. Just a personal preference on my part.

5.4 Shelby
03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
I agree with silverfox. Run with the machine you have. I still use my old PC. I have a GG 6in and it is my go to machine, but, I learned on the old underpowered PC 7424 (nonXP). Instead use the extra money on the 5 in MF DA system starter kit by Megs and add a few other foam pads.

You will probably find someday that you want more, then consider a Flex or rotary or whatever else is hot at the time.

James K
03-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I have got very good results with the CCS smart pads (dimpled). Many do not like them and prefer flat pads.

If you are going to replace your 6.5 pads, I would only bother replacing the cutting and polishing pads. No sense getting new pads for your wax and sealant IMO. Just stick with the ones you have.

Personally I would get the Meguiars DA microfiber pads. I like them a lot. With the xmt a white LC flat pad would be perfect as well.

poweraid
03-28-2011, 08:16 PM
im not looking to do any serious paint correction. im just using the xmt aio and then top it off with some collinite. i guess i am worried about the 6.5 pads being to big and hard to work with? should i get some 5.5 pads and then shoud i stick with the ccs pads or go with flat pads? and then what color pads should i get.

James K
03-28-2011, 08:24 PM
In your case a couple of white 5.5 inch flat pads would be fine. However, if you have a white pad currently, give it a try. If you can apply the needed pressure and keep the pad spinning, you will be fine. If not, order the smaller pads.

poweraid
03-28-2011, 08:26 PM
and the white pad would be used for applying? i have the light green to use with the xmt360 and gray pad for wax.

James K
03-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Well then you are good. I usually use a white pad for AIO products. The light green should be fine. I would try what you have before you spend more money on pads.