PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 as a wheel wax?

StoneRaizer
03-28-2011, 06:11 PM
According to the bottle of Collinite 845, it says it is for "automotive, marine, RV, aeronautical and industrial use" along with its use on power lines to prevent "flashovers" which can prevent fires, outages and explosions. It's obvious that 845 is tough stuff, but I'm wondering - has anybody used this as a wheel wax on coated and uncoated wheels? If so what were your results? If not, is there any potential harm in trying this?

dad07
03-28-2011, 06:16 PM
the wheels on my truck are coated and I use 845 on them it does help in keeping them cleaner for sure.

as far as un-coated wheels I have not used it on those so I can't help you there.

I also use coli on the glass of my truck except the winshield.

S2K
03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
I use 845 on the clear coated wheels on my Honda and a spray of the hose washes off most all the brake dust and grime, then I wipe them down with a MF and some DP rinseless wash, dry them and they are clean as a whistle with very little effort. I love 845, so easy to apply and lasts so long. I have never used it on un-coated wheels either, so i can't say about that.

Pie
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
I use 845 on my wheels as well. Wiping off brake dust is very easy :)

roguish-desires
03-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I use 845 on my wheels as well. Wiping off brake dust is very easy :)

:whs:

I have used it on coated wheels with great success! Just use my car wash shampoo and they clean right up!

VIP Reflections
03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
i use rejax on customers wheels and it does the job. but 845 on mine because i love it, great all around wax.

Kaban
03-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Why is there waaay more talk about 845 than 476? Do you guys just prefer it because of the easier application?

I have several bottles/jars of both and I reach for the 476 80% of the time because it lasts so much longer from my experience. I figured if I put in the time, might as well use something that lasts a bit longer (not that the 845 doesn't last long, just not as long as 476 for sure).

Or do you guys like it because it's in liquid form and 845 can be applied with a DA?

NY946
03-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Why not just use Collinite's metal wax?

BillyJack
03-29-2011, 06:22 AM
:whs:

I have used it on coated wheels with great success! Just use my car wash shampoo and they clean right up!

Same here. I did the coated wheels of my winter driver back in early December. It's been washed with ONR 5-6 times since then and the brake dust and road dirt just wipe right off.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
03-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Why is there waaay more talk about 845 than 476? Do you guys just prefer it because of the easier application? I have several bottles/jars of both and I reach for the 476 80% of the time because it lasts so much longer from my experience.

Yeah, I always wonder that too since the 476 lasts longer...but 845 is such a joy to apply!

Why not just use Collinite's metal wax?

You don't really want to use that on painted/coated metal--it's a metal polish and wax in one...although now that you're reminding me I DID use it on some wheel barrels that were barely painted and all pitted and it worked well.

silverfox
03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Two things...1) There is a perception that "older" hard, paste waxes are OLD technology, and that the newer, modern waxes and sealants are superior. Wrong (except for perhaps the Optimum Opti-Coat 2 product which is really in a class by itself).

2) Human beings like to take the path of least resistance, therefore the hard type paste waxes (that are a pain in the butt to get out of the can sometimes) are rejected out-right by many. They don't have the time, its not easy to apply, etc. Again, applying with a DA polisher is not hard, and in fact is not as messy as liquids or buttery-type products...so again, the perception that old style paste waxes are just not worth the trouble is not based in fact.

BobbyG
03-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Before I started using a dedicated wheel wax / sealant, I used Collinite 845 and was just as impressed with it there as on the painted surfaces. It's really reduced the amount of brake dust between washings and the wheels cleaned up nicey with regular soapy water.

To be honest I don't know if the dedicated wheel products protect any better but they're certainly more expensive than Collinite 845..

StoneRaizer
03-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I recently picked up some BFWD that I'm going to use on the paint of mine and some friends and family members' cars, but I still have some 845 kicking around that I wanted to find a use for. Guess I've found one. :D

Next question - how do you apply it to get thin, even coverage in all of the crevices? 4" pad on a DA? PowerBall/PowerCone?

BobbyG
03-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Next question - how do you apply it to get thin, even coverage in all of the crevices? 4" pad on a DA? PowerBall/PowerCone?

A thin Microfiber towel and your fingers.

Something I've recently started doing is applying wheel wax with a Microfiber glove. This works so slick it's a no-brainer!! :props: