PDA

View Full Version : The FLEX XC 3401 VRG Mini Backing Plate

jimmyjam
03-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Big Question!!!

Will the Mini Backing Plate work better with the Megs MF DA system?
Will a 5" pad make paint correction faster?
Would I have to change the speeds I'm used to?
I hear/read allot regarding smaller pads, but I'm just trying to do my research before buying the mini BP. The Flex3401 is a different beast so just curious.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Hey Jimmy,

1. No
2. On a 3401, with a smaller pad, you are actually doing less polishing work because the outer edge of the pad is not spinning as fast as it would on a larger pad. More area with a section that spins faster = faster correcting. This is only because of the forced rotation. Traditional DA's need smaller pads.
3. No

jimmyjam
03-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Mark!
I was gonna PM you with similar questions, but what's the benefit with the new Mini BP? The forced rotation makes the Flex it's own character as for as accessory availability...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Mark!
I was gonna PM you with similar questions, but what's the benefit with the new Mini BP?
I think some like the "feel" of using a smaller pad, generally speaking. Also, you can polish smaller areas, albeit, not much smaller. A BP that could use 4" pads would have been much more beneficial, IMO.

jimmyjam
03-28-2011, 01:09 AM
I think some like the "feel" of using a smaller pad, generally speaking. Also, you can polish smaller areas, albeit, not much smaller. A BP that could use 4" pads would have been much more beneficial, IMO.

Good deal Mark! Thanks Bro!

Crazy Amos
03-28-2011, 06:42 AM

Wait, wait, wait.... I thought the new BP was 3.75 BP? I'm not sure this new one is going to help that much if it doesn't accept a 4" Pad.

LegacyGT
03-28-2011, 07:38 AM
I am just going to put this out there so it can be discussed. The Meguiars rep said during the MF class yesterday that they had validated the system to work on the 3401. Unfortunately I was not able to get a lot of additional information since our class went long, but hopefully someone else can add some additional information about this.

IID
03-28-2011, 08:02 AM
The larger pad will move more SFM @ forced rotation.

Example,
If a pad is run at a setting 500 rpm's
4.5" Pad = 500rpm x.262 x 4.5" = 590sfm (Surface Feet Minute)
5.5" Pad = 500rpm x.262 x 5.5" = 721sfm (Surface Feet Minute)

ScottB
03-28-2011, 08:48 AM
oops ... I forgot to grab one of these while at DF.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Wait, wait, wait.... I thought the new BP was 3.75 BP? I'm not sure this new one is going to help that much if it doesn't accept a 4" Pad.
No, it's 4 3/8". 4" pads with not fit.

C. Charles Hahn
03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I am just going to put this out there so it can be discussed. The Meguiars rep said during the MF class yesterday that they had validated the system to work on the 3401. Unfortunately I was not able to get a lot of additional information since our class went long, but hopefully someone else can add some additional information about this.

All I know is that in the "live feed" thread I asked a question about the pad balding issues people were having and right after class let out, Yancy replied that Jason Rose was standing next to him answering my question. His response was:

Less pressure and less speed, Jason is standing next to me answering your question... He said that you have a more aggressive product so that is where you balding is coming from, hence slow down the speed and lessen up the pressure.

I have yet to experiment with it again, so I'm not exactly sure how much less pressure is needed to alleviate the problem people are experiencing.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
so I'm not exactly sure how much less pressure is needed to alleviate the problem people are experiencing.
I tried less pressure, less speed and guess what that resulted in???? Less correction! My testing consisted of the 3401, speed 4, D300, MF Cutting Disc vs. Griot's DA, speed 4, D300, MF Cutting Disc. The Griot's DA combo cut noticeably better than the 3401 combo. MF pads(and surbuf) pads are not designed to work efficiently with a forced rotation DA. I think people have to accept the fact that the MF system does not work well with the 3401. Sure, the 3401 can be "validated" to work with the MF system, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

C. Charles Hahn
03-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I tried less pressure, less speed and guess what that resulted in???? Less correction! My testing consisted of the 3401, speed 4, D300, MF Cutting Disc vs. Griot's DA, speed 4, D300, MF Cutting Disc. The Griot's DA combo cut noticeably better than the 3401 combo. MF pads(and surbuf) pads are not designed to work efficiently with a forced rotation DA. I think people have to accept the fact that the MF system does not work well with the 3401. Sure, the 3401 can be "validated" to work with the MF system, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Completely agreed, except that quite honestly I think surbuf pads do work well on the 3401... not so with the MF pads though. Doesn't mean that I won't keep playing around with it anyway, but that is the reality :laughing:

I think the lesson to be learned here, put simply, is that brute force is not always the answer for removing heavier defects.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Completely agreed, except that quite honestly I think surbuf pads do work well on the 3401...

I do agree that surbuf are more forgiving than MF pads on the 3401, but the forced rotation of the Flex 3401 will still flatten the surbuf micro-fingers more so than a traditional DA. :)

I think the lesson to be learned here, put simply, is that brute force is not always the answer for removing heavier defects.
Ain't that the truth! I can get better correction with my GG DA/MF system than anything I've ever tried on the 3401!