PDA

View Full Version : Gtechniq P1 + Infiniti scratchshield, need help!

chris11le
03-27-2011, 09:25 PM
I started polishing the exterior of my new G37 a couple weeks (yes, its been that long) ago. Got through the whole car, under halogens everything looked fine. Pulled it out into the sun and it looks like a hologrammed disaster.

Im using Gtechniq P1, but via DA and not rotary. So, where did the holograms come from?

I basically started over..........picked the drivers side of the car. One section of one panel at a time, polish, check under halogens, under sun, good to go. Finally finished the whole drivers side, I had a few spots with leftover product (edges of sections where it didnt get worked in as much, etc......too stubborn to just wipe off with a microfiber). Since P1 is water based, I figured just moisten a microfiber then wipe it off. VOILA!! There is my hologram. Wherever I wipe the extra product off, I get what looks like a streak under halogens, but in the sun it looks like a hologram.

Any ideas? Im really at my wits end here....everything looks fine as long as I dont have any polishing residue leftover, because once I wipe it off Im back at square one.

Its been suggested P1 might be hiding the marring/holograms, could that be the case? Could it be the self healing clearcoat? Have I completely hosed the car? Im using a porter cable da (not the xp model) and white 4" Erasure pads (as I understand it the colors on them go the same as Lake Country, so white should be light polishing)

At this point any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. I can send beer if I have to :)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Rsurfer
03-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I thought all 2010 and 2011 do not have the scratch resistant coating?

swosanity
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Hey Chris,

I am not much help but post some pictures of your ride and folks here can get a good look and provide some suggestions.

chris11le
03-27-2011, 09:36 PM
I thought all 2010 and 2011 do not have the scratch resistant coating?

I think they brought it back for 2011, and have now discontinued it (again, supposedly permanently this time)

Hey Chris,

I am not much help but post some pictures of your ride and folks here can get a good look and provide some suggestions.

This is the best pic I could get of what Im seeing, I know it looks like machine induced marring/hologramming, but Ive proven that I can polish a section until its crystal clear, then induce this marring by wiping any leftover residue off.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14958505/2011-03-27%2017.57.53.jpg

bmwgeek
03-27-2011, 11:00 PM
what year is the car? self heal on g37 is 09 model and 2011 model

swosanity
03-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Chris,

Tell the folks here exactly what you are using? What type of DA?

jimmyjam
03-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Hi Chris,
Did you prime the pad prior to polishing or work the polish to long causing it to dry out?

-Jimmy

chris11le
03-28-2011, 05:18 AM
2011 g37, working with a porter cable da (the original one, not the xp)

Pads were primed by putting a coating of polish across it, then a couple extra drops to do a section.

I dont believe I let the product dry out, there was always a haze of product on the paint at all times. Some have suggested I didnt work the product long enough, as evidence by the fact that at times it was hard to remove.