PDA

View Full Version : smart phone quiestion. need help..

Pages : [1] 2

trhland
03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
iknow theres alot of cellphone gurus on here . hopefully u can asist me. on my cell phone it was the wifi feture and its always on along with my gps. should o shut the wifi down? to save my battery?when do i need thisonly when i surfing the web?im trying to safe and prolong my battery. my phones the samsung fasinate.. thanks

silverfox
03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
The WiFI feature sucks battery power..no doubt. Use it at your own discretion. You don't "need it" ever if you want to be honest about it (unless your carrier signal is down)

trhland
03-27-2011, 11:52 AM
The WiFI feature sucks battery power..no doubt. Use it at your own discretion. You don't "need it" ever if you want to be honest about it (unless your carrier signal is down)
thank you very much .im new to the smart phone ilove it but thebattery dies very fast soif this helps ill do it for sure thank you very much ....

Kaleb G.
03-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I turn everything that I'm not using at that time off. Gps, WiFi, data, and auto-sync. I can get 2 days out of my HTC inspire 4G.

A4 1.8tqm
03-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Yep, wifi and Bluetooth ect. will drain battery life, another big one is screen brightness. If you have an "auto brightness" setting, use it.

edit:
Just googled your phone, turn off any widgets, moving backgrounds, turn off haptic feedback. Checkout the juice defender app that does this stuff for you, I guess.

trhland
03-27-2011, 05:04 PM
thank you guys soooo much!!! i did what u guys said and its helping batt life !!:xyxthumbs: love you guys!!!!

Mazda.Mark
03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
also vibrate feature uses most battery, if you don't mind your phon not vibrating on motifications ( use silent instead vibrate) saves battery

trhland
03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
and i get alerts everytime some one posts on my facebook page . i assume this doesnt help lol

A4 1.8tqm
03-27-2011, 07:31 PM
and i get alerts everytime some one posts on my facebook page . i assume this doesnt help lol

If FB alerts are like email, there is another thing to take into consideration. Notification type.

"Fetch" is a method where your phone contacts the server and "asks" if there are any new notifications/emails, this is done on a regular basis like every 5min, 15min or 1 hour. Obviously this will reduce battery life.

"Push" on the other hand is when the server just sends the new info straight to your phone as soon as it comes in. Push is better because your phone doesn't have to use up power checking for new info all the time.

AOL Mail, for example, does not support "Push Notifications", while Gmail does. :dblthumb2:

TL type S
03-27-2011, 08:02 PM
iknow theres alot of cellphone gurus on here . hopefully u can asist me. on my cell phone it was the wifi feture and its always on along with my gps. should o shut the wifi down? to save my battery?when do i need thisonly when i surfing the web?im trying to safe and prolong my battery. my phones the samsung fasinate.. thanks

I build frame work and rework apk`s for these phones I can tell you that you only need wifi if you are in a building with no or low signal such as an air port.Leave GPS off till you need to navigate some place.

TL type S
03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Let me know which phone you have and can get you a good Kernel.We can also use set CPU and get stupid life out of it if you are rooted.Are you Rooted? Need some help with it?

Let me know

cobalt9123
03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Keep your wifi and bluetooth features off until you need them. It does waste battery power because the phone is always "searching" for a wireless network to connect to.

However, when surfing the web, you definitely want to be connected to a wifi network if possible. It will actually save your battery as opposed to surfing using the carrier's 3g network.

Kaleb G.
03-27-2011, 08:47 PM
TL Type S, is it cool if I pm you about rooting?

TL type S
03-27-2011, 08:52 PM
TL Type S, is it cool if I pm you about rooting?

Sure its cool.Ill help you out in anyway I can.

trhland
03-28-2011, 05:06 AM
you guys r great thanks again!! its funny because i go to verizon and ask there techs quistions and they tell me oh what ever you want to do and give me the run around . id rather ask u guys.