PDA

View Full Version : How to repair little paint chips and safely detail?

Pages : [1] 2

mammoth713
03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
How do you fill in hood paint chips properly (I.E. wetsand, etc)??

Then ontop of doing that, I'd like to run a DA buffer to fix whatever is left by the wetsanding..

Where is a good place to buy a kit to fix the hood and how do you safely run a DA over fixed paint chips like that?

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL927/4262176/22354980/370839334.jpg

C. Charles Hahn
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
What you're looking for is Dr. Colorchip.

Best advice would be to polish before you fix the chips, and then be sure you wait for the fresh paint to fully cure before you polish over them again.

Rayaz
03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
What you're looking for is Dr. Colorchip.

Best advice would be to polish before you fix the chips, and then be sure you wait for the fresh paint to fully cure before you polish over them again.

I agree. Dr. Colorchip is the man! Be sure to clean the chips out very well with ISP or prepsol so the repair will have good grip. You are going to be amazed at how well this stuff works.

Matt575
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
I agree. Dr. Colorchip is the man! Be sure to clean the chips out very well with ISP or prepsol so the repair will have good grip. You are going to be amazed at how well this stuff works.

Is that better than a jar of touch-up paint from the dealer?

jpegs13
03-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Yes it's better. They use the OEM paint (PPG) and a special curing agent.

C. Charles Hahn
03-29-2011, 04:23 PM

If you've got a bunch of road rash to fix, it's far superior. If all you have is one or two little chips it probably isn't worth the extra money.

Matt575
03-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Im going to use Meguiars DA microfiber system on the area then try to fix the chips. Anything else I would need to do to prime the area or should that be sufficient?

C. Charles Hahn
03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Im going to use Meguiars DA microfiber system on the area then try to fix the chips. Anything else I would need to do to prime the area or should that be sufficient?

Are the chips down to bare metal?

Matt575
03-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Are the chips down to bare metal?

I believe so.

C. Charles Hahn
03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
I believe so.

You may want to pick up a small metal pick you can use to scratch away any rust that may be in the chip. What I usually use is a dentist's cleaning tool/scraper.

As for primer, in the past I've used self-etching primer out of a rattle can. Just spray some into a cup and apply it to the chip with a toothpick. Once that's dry, put base-coat on top of it followed by a bit of clear.

Matt575
03-29-2011, 05:43 PM
You may want to pick up a small metal pick you can use to scratch away any rust that may be in the chip. What I usually use is a dentist's cleaning tool/scraper.

As for primer, in the past I've used self-etching primer out of a rattle can. Just spray some into a cup and apply it to the chip with a toothpick. Once that's dry, put base-coat on top of it followed by a bit of clear.

Sounds like I need to do some research on how to do all this. This all sounds very foreign to me......

Midnight1700
03-29-2011, 05:43 PM
I use the "Applied Colors" kit. It's great for all kinds of touch-ups. From simple rock chips to road rash! If you live anywhere near So. Oregon, I'd say bring it by and I'll take care of it for you. It would only take about 15 minutes and you wouldn't know the chips where ever there.

Matt575
03-29-2011, 05:55 PM
I use the "Applied Colors" kit. It's great for all kinds of touch-ups. From simple rock chips to road rash! If you live anywhere near So. Oregon, I'd say bring it by and I'll take care of it for you. It would only take about 15 minutes and you wouldn't know the chips where ever there.

That's a sweet offer and I appreciate it...BUT......I live in MN... :awman: Looks like I'm stuck trying to figure it out and do it myself... :(

Midnight1700
03-29-2011, 08:27 PM
That's a sweet offer and I appreciate it...BUT......I live in MN... :awman: Looks like I'm stuck trying to figure it out and do it myself... :(

Yeh, that would be a bit of a commute! Not even close enough to where we could meet in the middle....:autowash:

Belair
03-29-2011, 08:34 PM
I need to have some chips repaired too. Since I'm about halfway between S. Oregon & Minn, why don't both of you meet me here?

:haha: