PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pads

Rewind97
03-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Just curious, how do y'all clean your buffing pads after you use them?

V3AutoDetailing
03-26-2011, 09:24 PM
put in war water with dawn, then scrub a little, then rinse

jimmyjam
03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I bought one of the cleaning buckets Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer,Dual action orbital pad washer, foam and wool pad washer, rotary pad washer, Cyclo pad washer, Porter Cable pad (http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard-universal-pad-washer.html), but it's a pain to clean it after evey vehicle I detail. So I spray some Orange Citrus Cleaner and clean them under hot water.

gmreed
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Been cleaning ours in soapy water, letting them rinse for a little while, then spraying them off with a hose. Works pretty good, but a little messy.

93fox
03-26-2011, 10:29 PM
i use Dawn power dissolver. after im done with the pad i shoot some of it on the pad and spread it around with my finger and but it in a container with warm water and a little bit of dawn soap. i let them sit for about 30 min and then just rinse them and scrub them with the pad cleaning brush and they are perfectly new. i found this alot more useful than an actual dedicated pad cleaner i bought. :dblthumb2:

Rewind97
03-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the tips!! I really appreciate it!!

BobbyG
03-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Pretty much the same here too.

I generally spray them with Meguiar's Super Degreaser, let it for a while , then put them in a bucket of hot water and Dawn. I squeeze them and agitate the mix occasionally and once they're clean rinse and let dry.

silverfox
03-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Dawn strips wax and oils...and its cheap and available everywhere. I've tried the fancy "pad cleaner" products....and frankly, Dawn does a better job at a fraction of the cost. I even use it on my MF towels...let them soak for a few hours, then air dry them.

Transcendent
03-27-2011, 07:26 AM
I just use some red devil degreaser hit it with warm water and work the residue out with my fingers and spray it will its clean.. well thats is if have to clean them during a job but i try to have enough pads so i dont have to clean them during a job. When i clean them at home i just soak em in dawn and warm water.

Daniel Ellow
03-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Just curious, how do y'all clean your buffing pads after you use them?

I always clean buffing pads with warm, soapy water. after little bit scrub, rinse it for little while and its ready for use.

KODA
03-29-2011, 08:05 AM
If you soak it, is there any chance the velcro backing can come out?

93fox
03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
If you soak it, is there any chance the velcro backing can come out?

This has only happened with some cheap local pads i bought. Other than that, my meguiars and Lake country pads have held strong after soaking them.

AeroCleanse
03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
For on the fly washing, the Grit Guard Padwasher. For after I am fully done, rinse them out with warm water (another benefit of water based polishes)