PDA

View Full Version : CQuartz as an auto bra???

watermark
03-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Just wondering if I could use CQuartz as essentially an auto bra? Simply, polish my bumper and mirrors, and then apply 3-4 coats of CQuartz to help reduce the rock chips but maintain protection. Any thoughts?

Rsurfer
03-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Just wondering if I could use CQuartz as essentially an auto bra? Simply, polish my bumper and mirrors, and then apply 3-4 coats of CQuartz to help reduce the rock chips but maintain protection. Any thoughts?
CQuartz will help in marring, but it won't prevent rock chips.

watermark
03-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks Rsurfer. I was just thinking that given the reduction in marring if multiple coats would at least minimize the potential for chips. Any idea as to how many coats of CQuartz you can apply, or at what point if becomes a fruitless endeavor?

serenity
03-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Why not just get a clear bra?

watermark
03-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Don't really like the way that they look, and my car is leased. Just looking for a similar product without the hassle.

C. Charles Hahn
03-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Don't really like the way that they look, and my car is leased. Just looking for a similar product without the hassle.

Well, what you could try for road trips is this stuff:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/dc/8/AAAADEbWYs0AAAAAANyGhg.jpg?v=1279358983000

jlb85
03-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Well, what you could try for road trips is this stuff:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/dc/8/AAAADEbWYs0AAAAAANyGhg.jpg?v=1279358983000

^+1

Charlie, have you used them much? Will they last a winter? I have a different brand of what is probably the same thing, but have yet to use it.

C. Charles Hahn
03-26-2011, 11:17 PM
^+1

Charlie, have you used them much? Will they last a winter? I have a different brand of what is probably the same thing, but have yet to use it.

I've only used the clear version, and that only a handful of times. It's not bad, but I highly doubt it would last through a winter unless you're really careful about not going near it with a pressure washer.

Kristopher1129
03-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Sounds like you're just looking for an alternative to paint film. But really nothing will protect you from chips the way that paint film will.

But, if you don't like the look of paint film...then you may have your hands tied on this one. Quartz won't stop a rock from penetrating your paint. It will stop marring, help prevent minor scratches, etc. But, it doesn't quite create the buffer zone between projectiles and your paint the way that film does.

So it's either sacrifice cosmetics for protection, or protection for cosmetics. Either way you are protecting your paint. But to what level do you want to protect?? That's the question. :dblthumb2:

richy
03-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I answered this question on another thread, I'll repeat it here:

No, even if you layer CQ (you cannot layer OC), it will not prevent chips. It may minimize them or their effect, but eliminate them? No.

The good news is that either product can be put on top of the clear bra, so that will maximize your chip protection.