PDA

View Full Version : correct prep for detail

poweraid
03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
ok , i need a little help here. first of all i am gonna clay bar, then using pinnacle swirl remover, finish polish, possible use wg dgps 3.0, then top off with wax. this would be the correct application ? now during the summer what do i need to do for upkeep ? im thinking i can always apply more wax, or detail spray. that should get me through the summer ? now when fall/winter arrives what steps do i need to make to get me protection for the winter ? and then again in spring full-on detail again . at that time do i need to like strip all of the old wax/sealant off before i start my detail? this is what is confusing me . i see products like pinnacle paintworks cleansing lotion and wolfgang paintworks polish enhancer. these two seem to be a type of wax/sealant remover. do i need to use this in my application or is it not needed.

ScubaCougr
03-26-2011, 12:23 PM
If the paint is in good condition you might not need to do both swirl remover and finish polish. Try just the polish on a test spot to see if that gives you good results.

Polish followed by sealant followed by wax (if desired) is correct.

Summer upkeep sounds about right too. Wash well, apply wax as needed/desired, perhaps every 4-6 weeks, and you should be fine.

Start your next major detail with a Dawn wash. That along with the clay will strip any remaining wax/sealant off so you can start fresh in the fall.

BobbyG
03-26-2011, 01:05 PM
There is very little difference in how you approach finish care for summer and winter. Winter care is much more challenging especially if you live in the North where cold, snow, sand, and salt are everywhere for extended periods.

Basic steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

Your products from above.

Clay
Pinnacle Swirl Remover
Pinnacle Finish Polish
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Wax

The Wolfgang sealant is a nice product however I really like Menzerna Power Lock paint Sealant. For wax Collinite 845 is a winner no mater how look at it. This combination has been on my truck since October 2010 and still going strong.

Any surface protection applied begins to deteriorate as soon as it's applied. These coatings are so thin they're transparent the effects from mother nature over time will take there toll.

If the products have been on your car for a few months a complete claying will remove what's left then polish, seal, and wax...........