PDA

View Full Version : Not too impressed with 105

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kristopher1129
03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't know if it's just me or what. But, I've used 105 numerous times at this point. Other than the spread time window being really small...There's not too much to complain about. But honestly...I've got some compounds at my disposal that blow this stuff out of the water.

Can I get good results with it? Yes. Do I have to use it multiple times to get those results? Yes. For some reason, I always have to do a second pass with 105. I think that's mainly due to it's lack of passes to be made. I have noticed though, that with the PC...it tends to spread better, and work better for that matter. But whenever I try to use a wool pad with my Makita...it just eats it up. I typically prime my pad with 205 to improve the spread time to avoid it turning to chalky dust before it has time to work.

I've only had one bottle of 105 up to now. I'm just not so sure I would buy another one. I bought it cause it seems to be 90% of peoples "go to" compound in AG world. So I figured I'd give it a solid shot. I really think I've given this stuff a fair assessment. I just haven't been too impressed so far. Now 205...I absolutely LOVE. I think 205 is a far superior product than 105 IMO. I will surely have 205 in my arsenal from now on. But I think I'm breaking up with 105, ha.

How do you guys use it? Any tricks?

ScottB
03-25-2011, 05:18 PM
In general you need to find a polish line you like using and does what you expect. You will practice and become efficient on its use and abilities. 105 is a nice product, but certainly no crime to choose another line as desired.

silverfox
03-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I think you should try either or both of the following combos:

a) Megs Ultimate compound/Ultimate polish combo w/5.5" Lake Country hydro tech pads

b) Megs MF DA system, D300/D301 (5" Megs MF pads)

I think between the two, you ought to be able to find the sweet spot in terms of best bang for the buck.

john b
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
have you tried that with the new megs da pads yet?

Kristopher1129
03-25-2011, 05:38 PM
I think you should try either or both of the following combos:

a) Megs Ultimate compound/Ultimate polish combo w/5.5" Lake Country hydro tech pads

b) Megs MF DA system, D300/D301 (5" Megs MF pads)

I think between the two, you ought to be able to find the sweet spot in terms of best bang for the buck.

Interesting. I've been wanting to try the MF DA system really bad. I may have to give that a shot. Especially since I only seem to get results that please me with a rotary. Ultimate compound I've also been wanting to give a shot as well. Thanks. :dblthumb2:

jamores23
03-25-2011, 05:40 PM
i just made my order for the da mf system :) i have the old m105 thats for rotary only

jamores23
03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
kris what do you prefer in place of 105?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-25-2011, 05:55 PM
I like Meg's DA SMAT compounds and polishes. I REALLY like the new DA MF system! Although, if you're a rotary guy, moving to a DA might be awkward. What is your compound of choice, Kris?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

RaskyR1
03-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't know if it's just me or what. But, I've used 105 numerous times at this point. Other than the spread time window being really small...There's not too much to complain about. But honestly...I've got some compounds at my disposal that blow this stuff out of the water.

Can I get good results with it? Yes. Do I have to use it multiple times to get those results? Yes. For some reason, I always have to do a second pass with 105. I think that's mainly due to it's lack of passes to be made. I have noticed though, that with the PC...it tends to spread better, and work better for that matter. But whenever I try to use a wool pad with my Makita...it just eats it up. I typically prime my pad with 205 to improve the spread time to avoid it turning to chalky dust before it has time to work.

I've only had one bottle of 105 up to now. I'm just not so sure I would buy another one. I bought it cause it seems to be 90% of peoples "go to" compound in AG world. So I figured I'd give it a solid shot. I really think I've given this stuff a fair assessment. I just haven't been too impressed so far. Now 205...I absolutely LOVE. I think 205 is a far superior product than 105 IMO. I will surely have 205 in my arsenal from now on. But I think I'm breaking up with 105, ha.

Have you tried M105 on fresh paint?

What do you feel cuts better than M105? Does it finish down as well?

I know 3M Extra Cut works faster, but it leaves the finish looking terrible....

I would agree with what Killr said above though. :)

AeroCleanse
03-25-2011, 06:01 PM
I gave up on M105 (back when it was rotary only). Right now I use GTechniq P1 and System 51 99% of the time. I like the fact they are water based.

Rsurfer
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Some have used a couple drops of baby oil to extend the working time with 105. Mixing 205 does help, but will reduce the cut of 105. Have you tried priming the whole pad with 105?

Old Tiger
03-25-2011, 06:17 PM

What compounds do you like better? I like G||Techniq better. I dont care for Menzerna Power Gloss I like Megs UC and just bought the Megs DA Compound. I only have a GG DA.

Sunshyne
03-25-2011, 06:50 PM
as the newbie in the room listening to the adults talk. I must say I am a bit apprehensive now lol

I have the 105/205 combo sitting here and now am afraid to try the 105

good thing I have the Wolfgang 3.0 twins and the Megs Ultimate Compound/Polish combos on standby ;)

WRAPT C5Z06
03-25-2011, 06:58 PM
as the newbie in the room listening to the adults talk. I must say I am a bit apprehensive now lol

I have the 105/205 combo sitting here and now am afraid to try the 105

good thing I have the Wolfgang 3.0 twins and the Megs Ultimate Compound/Polish combos on standby ;)
M105 has a bit of a learning curve.

Ultimate Compound is much easier to work with. :xyxthumbs: Doesn't have quite the cut of M105, but still very good!

Sunshyne
03-25-2011, 07:17 PM
M105 has a bit of a learning curve.

Ultimate Compound is much easier to work with. :xyxthumbs: Doesn't have quite the cut of M105, but still very good!

thanks for the clarification Mark!

both my vehicles are in above average condition so I think the UC should cut the mustard just fine...I hope lol