PDA

View Full Version : Preparing surface for CQ or OC

Pages : [1] 2 3

richy
03-25-2011, 11:31 AM
The key to having a successful application of either CQuartz or Opti Coat is proper surface preparation. The obvious thing here is to have the surface as defect-free as possible. It's like your grad picture...it's gonna show that way for a long time so make sure it's the way you want it! As far as using polishes, do not use something that has glaze or sealant in it. Just use a pure polish.

The other important point and a key to success is properly cleaning the surface prior to application. Avi suggests using a 90/10 mix of 90% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to 10% Alkaline-based cleaner like Dawn or Krud Kutter or any APC that is high on the alkaline scale. The reason for the mix is that IRA will not, by iteself, remove oils on the surface that can be left by oils in the polish. It needs the assistance of the alkaline. Alkaline cuts oils. So, immediately prior to applying either product, spray the surface with the mix and rub it gently (you don't want to scratch your now perfect finish) till you get the surface squeaky clean. Use 2 mf's: one to apply and one to remove. Lastly, check the surface under LED's if you have them or in the sun (if it's available) or both if you can. If it passes inspection, you're good to go. Crank the tunes, grab a beer and have some fun.

Old Tiger
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Great info buddy! It looks like it is going to be a little too cold & wet this weekend to do CQ. Bummer!
BTW for those new to the forum, IMO Richy has more experience with the coatings than anyone I know!

silverfox
03-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I would recommend that Optimum include a small bottle of the PROPER IPA solution with their kit (or exact instructions therein)...their product is far too radical a step (permanent) for many to be wrong in the surface prep step.

sohail99
03-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I too will be applying CQ to my hood first!

So looking at all the assistance and advise I can get to get it right the first time! :D

sohail99
03-25-2011, 11:39 PM
The other important point and a key to success is properly cleaning the surface prior to application. Avi suggests using a 90/10 mix of 90% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to 10% Alkaline-based cleaner like Dawn or Krud Kutter or any APC that is high on the alkaline scale. The reason for the mix is that IRA will not, by iteself, remove oils on the surface that can be left by oils in the polish. It needs the assistance of the alkaline. Alkaline cuts oils. So, immediately prior to applying either product, spray the surface with the mix and rub it gently (you don't want to scratch your now perfect finish) till you get the surface squeaky clean. Use 2 mf's: one to apply and one to remove. Lastly, check the surface under LED's if you have them or in the sun (if it's available) or both if you can. If it passes inspection, you're good to go. Crank the tunes, grab a beer and have some fun.

Can ironX be used to strip?

I Just have IPA and DP cleanse all APC!

Chris Thomas
03-26-2011, 01:09 AM
I would recommend that Optimum include a small bottle of the PROPER IPA solution with their kit (or exact instructions therein)...their product is far too radical a step (permanent) for many to be wrong in the surface prep step.

Just apply it to bare paint. Get to that point any way you like: Power Clean wash, IPA 10% for 2-3 passes, dawn wash, prepsol, etc. Till now we only offered it to pros, and as such they should know how to prep paint. Once you guys have used OC you will totally realize how much you've over thought it. It is VERY easy. I'd watch that 90% mixture, some paints will not react well.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

silverfox
03-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Yeah...I saw that 90% IPA solution reply and said wow...we better get a clear answer from optimum on this issue. The 10% IPA is what I would consider "normal" and safe. Thanks for clearing that up. You are right.. Perhaps we are over-thinking this. I will try the product.

jimmyjam
03-26-2011, 05:15 AM
Uuumm I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask....

What's Opti-Coat for/do????

john b
03-26-2011, 06:17 AM
top secret

watermark
03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Just wondering about both of these products. Would / could they be used as a reasonable substitute for a clear bra? Specifically, could I prep my bumper and mirrors, then apply 3-4 coats of these, adding hardness and resistance to paint chips?

richy
03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Can ironX be used to strip?

I Just have IPA and DP cleanse all APC!
IronX can be used in the cleaning stage prior to polishing but not as a paint prep. Squeaky clean paint is important.

Just wondering about both of these products. Would / could they be used as a reasonable substitute for a clear bra? Specifically, could I prep my bumper and mirrors, then apply 3-4 coats of these, adding hardness and resistance to paint chips?

No, even if you layer CQ (you cannot layer OC), it will not prevent chips. It may minimize them or their effect, but eliminate them? No.

The good news is that either product can be put on top of the clear bra, so that will maximize your chip protection.

Automess
03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I was wondering if these 2 products do the same job?

also can either of these be applied on paint with No clear coat or clear coat peeling off?

PAR Detailing
03-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Chris, would glass cleaner work to prep a surface? I have alot of it and it works for inspecting results but does it leave any type of residue to inhibit OC from bonding?

Chris Thomas
03-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Chris, would glass cleaner work to prep a surface? I have alot of it and it works for inspecting results but does it leave any type of residue to inhibit OC from bonding?

I honestly cant say definitively, but I don't see why not. Ammonia and alcohol are great cleaners and strip pretty well. Maybe someone else can help with this one...

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

richy
03-27-2011, 12:25 AM
I was wondering if these 2 products do the same job?

also can either of these be applied on paint with No clear coat or clear coat peeling off?
I saw a video on Aquartz (the original product) where the guy put it on a car with very poor clear and it did help. Personally, I would not. I would not waste it on crappy paint, but that's just my opinion. It's your money.

Follow Chris' instructions for OC. Do not substitute for the 90/10 mix if you want success.