PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's DA Microfiber System works ... but

Pages : [1] 2

CleanGene
03-24-2011, 01:08 PM
OMG, IT IS SLOW!!!!

So I finally got a chance to do the Spring detail on my 08 Silverado (black) this past weekend and figured I'd give the new microfiber system a go. After spending nearly a half hour figuring out the arm speed and pressure I would need to get the results I wanted, it became very apparent that this was not the system for this job. I quickly reverted back to my Flex 3401 and 6.5" hydro-tech tangerine/M105 combo and made short work out of the rest of the truck.

I used the 5.5" system with a PCXP and pad rotation was not an issue. Yes, I properly primed the pad and used very little product thereafter. Granted, the clear on my truck is pretty hard, but I thought the system would be more effective against it.

I plan to give it anther shot on my wife's 10 Maxima (black) with it's soft clear and see if I have better luck. If not, I'll be posting what's left of it for sale.

If time is not a factor, than the results and safety that come along with the MF system make it a good choice, but if you are accustomed to getting great results in timely fashion, this may not be a good option for you.

I'm used to the correcting abilities of a rotary and the Flex 3401. If you have haven't used either of these tools and have nothing to compare the typical DAs to, than you'll probably have a more favorable opinion of the MF system.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I would agree that with the 3401 you don't have to worry about consistent pressure and arm speed, but I still think with the DA MF cuts very well with my GG DA. I'm now experimenting with M105 and the MF cutting disks on the 3401.

Sent using Tapatalk

CleanGene
03-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I would agree that with the 3401 you don't have to worry about consistent pressure and arm speed, but I still think with the DA MF cuts very well with my GG DA. I'm now experimenting with M105 and the MF cutting disks on the 3401.

Sent using Tapatalk

Keep me posted on the 3401 experiment. I'll consider buying the smaller Flex bp if it's worth it.

tuscarora dave
03-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Keep me posted on the 3401 experiment. I'll consider buying the smaller Flex bp if it's worth it.
I'll be interested in the results and time frame of correction using the 3401 as well. I can't see myself ever going back to a PC style machine for correction regardless of what pads/systems hit the market.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
So far, it's a negative, IMO.

Sent using Tapatalk

CleanGene
03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
I'll be interested in the results and time frame of correction using the 3401 as well. I can't see myself ever going back to a PC style machine for correction regardless of what pads/systems hit the market.

I believe this will be my last time stepping outside of the norm as well. If it ain't broke, don't break it. I believe I can officially demote my PCXP to product application only. I'd rather spend my time improving my rotary skills. I think my next investment will be in one of the lightweight rotaries. :xyxthumbs:

CleanGene
03-24-2011, 02:27 PM
So far, it's a negative, IMO.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've read quite a few posts regarding the system being used with the Flex, and I don't remember any of them being very positive.

silverfox
03-24-2011, 02:41 PM
This observation is just the opposite of the many reviews I've read on various forums regarding this new system...just sayin...

Most are saying they can get show car results in LESS time with LESS effort having LESS skill. Go figure. Sounds to me like perhaps the system was not used as it was designed in some some way..whatever that was...proper backing plate or technique or condition of the paint, etc....something is amiss...

Spicy McHaggis
03-24-2011, 02:43 PM
This observation is just the opposite of the many reviews I've read on various forums regarding this new system...just sayin...

Most are saying they can get show car results in LESS time with LESS effort having LESS skill. Go figure. Sounds to me like perhaps the system was not used as it was designed in some some way..whatever that was...proper backing plate or technique or condition of the paint, etc....something is amiss...
Don't say that too loud, reps from Meguiars might come in here and "set you straight" :rolleyes:

CleanGene
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM

That's exactly why I'm giving it another shot on a different paint type. But as for speed, there is NO WAY that the system could have corrected my truck faster. As I stated in the OP, I was able to find the right method to get the results I wanted, but at a very slow pace. It would have taken me all day to get the results I got in a few hours with the Flex.

05xrunner
03-24-2011, 02:56 PM

have you actually used the system or just repeating. I for one found that follow the way t was demonstrated to use by Jason Rose it does not play well with my paint on my car. But it worked really well on my buddies car I did on sunday. So its not going to be for everyone.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-24-2011, 03:16 PM
That's exactly why I'm giving it another shot on a different paint type. But as for speed, there is NO WAY that the system could have corrected my truck faster. As I stated in the OP, I was able to find the right method to get the results I wanted, but at a very slow pace. It would have taken me all day to get the results I got in a few hours with the Flex.
Interesting. I haven't used anything(Cyan HT, surbuf, M105) on the Flex 3401 that cuts and finishes as well as the MF cutting discs, D300, and GG DA. If the paint isn't in bad shape, I'd definitely reach for my 3401 first. Most of the time, that's not the case.

CleanGene
03-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Interesting. I haven't used anything(Cyan HT, surbuf, M105) on the Flex 3401 that cuts and finishes as well as the MF cutting discs, D300, and GG DA. If the paint isn't in bad shape, I'd definitely reach for my 3401 first. Most of the time, that's not the case.

That's why I'm even more shocked. My paint was by no means in bad shape. Minor swirls that took several passes to remove with the mf system only took a couple passes to remove with the Flex/HT Tangerine/M105 combo.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
That's why I'm even more shocked. My paint was by no means in bad shape. Minor swirls that took several passes to remove with the mf system only took a couple passes to remove with the Flex/HT Tangerine/M105 combo.
My z06 has very hard paint, and the MF system removes defects much easier than anything I've ever used with the 3401. To each their own! :dblthumb2:

CleanGene
03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
I mimicked the Jason Rose demo, but nothing I tried would give me good results in a reasonable amount of time. I had to slow it down to the point that it was just unrealistic to polish the entire truck that way.