PDA

View Full Version : How many times is a car washed in one detail?

Pages : [1] 2

YankeeFan
12-29-2006, 11:32 PM
If completely detailing the outside of car, for example ... wash.....clay....polish........sealant......wax. Between those steps how many times do you wash the car? For example, after claying do you wash to get off any residue clay or loosened particales? Same for the other steps.

Thanks,
Howard

CalgaryDetail
12-29-2006, 11:37 PM
thats a personal descion. I normaly wash just one, at the begining. I then clay, and just wipe off the lube. From there i continue to do the rest of the steps without washing, all the wax and polish can be wiped off.

I know of a few people who wash after claying, just to make sure everything is off, again this is a personal thing.

supercharged
12-30-2006, 12:10 AM
I wash just once right before I start. Never seen a need to rewash after claying.

ltoman
12-30-2006, 01:25 AM
I wash just once right before I start. Never seen a need to rewash after claying.I always rewash after claying, just to be safe... but i am just a newbie.

Gary Sword
12-30-2006, 06:08 AM
I always wash my car before and after I clay it. I never wash it between polish/sealant/wax unless the car was sitting outside overnight between steps and had a chance to get dirty. I lot of times I may do the polish/sealant/wax steps over a number of days because of curing times and time constraints. A lot of time I will cover the car up between steps (even in the garage) so it does not have a chance to get dirty. If the car had a chance to get dirty between steps and you proceed without washing it you will grind the dirt into you paint and end up with a lot of swirl marks.

justin_murphy
12-30-2006, 06:47 AM
I only was once. I usually clay while washing. I can think of two times that I've had to rewash due to dusting of a polish.

ScottB
12-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Several times can be the correct answer ... there is no absolute answer.

Wash --- Clay --- Rewash --- Polish -- Rewash --- Seal --- Cure --- Wax

People ask why I have washed up to three times in a detailing session. Simple, I felt I needed too. First wash is instrumental in cleaning car. Second, after claying is quicker but removing any contaminents on paint without further swirls/scratching. After polishing is unique, but I do it on occasion or a full alcohol/water wipe down. You see the oils and fillers in most polishes can reduce the ability for a "sealant" to specifically cure and attach to paint. These fillers and oils are gone quickly with a soft wash.

justin_murphy
12-30-2006, 09:05 AM

People ask why I have washed up to three times in a detailing session. Simple, I felt I needed too. First wash is instrumental in cleaning car. Second, after claying is quicker but removing any contaminents on paint without further swirls/scratching. After polishing is unique, but I do it on occasion or a full alcohol/water wipe down. You see the oils and fillers in most polishes can reduce the ability for a "sealant" to specifically cure and attach to paint. These fillers and oils are gone quickly with a soft wash.

This would be my process also if doing just one car over a several day period.

supercharged
12-30-2006, 10:17 AM

That's what I prefer over rewashing.

YankeeFan
12-30-2006, 11:02 AM

What is the advantahe of an alcohol/water mixture. I think I saw an old post indicating a 25/75 mixture of alcohol/water. What does the alcohol do that soap doesn't?

Howard

ScottB
12-30-2006, 11:08 AM
soap and alcohol both help to strip/remove the oils and fillers. Alcohol is already watered down when purchased at store, so it can be used as-is. Soap has a little more umph but takes longer. Neither are wrong choices, but a pristine finish with no oils and fillers is the best finish for sealants to attach to and cure properly without sacrificing durability and in some cases hazing. Carnauba waxes will attach to just about anything, and can be used directly over polish as wanted.

One other reason I like to rewash or wipe down. These fillers hide small scratches and imperfections. So much easier to repolish as needed versus sealing a finish with flaws. Then again I drive black ....

Surfer
12-30-2006, 11:20 AM
I just wash once, then go straight to claying/polishing etc. We a couple large vehicles including 3 suv's, you can bet I'm not rewashing any after each step LOL.

Nica
12-30-2006, 12:00 PM
soap and alcohol both help to strip/remove the oils and fillers. Alcohol is already watered down when purchased at store, so it can be used as-is. Soap has a little more umph but takes longer. Neither are wrong choices, but a pristine finish with no oils and fillers is the best finish for sealants to attach to and cure properly without sacrificing durability and in some cases hazing. Carnauba waxes will attach to just about anything, and can be used directly over polish as wanted.

One other reason I like to rewash or wipe down. These fillers hide small scratches and imperfections. So much easier to repolish as needed versus sealing a finish with flaws. Then again I drive black ....

I agree, I've been working on my Volvo for the past week and it's a small four dor vehicle and I have

Washed - Clayed - Washed - Polished - Washed

It is my first detail and using the products but I find that this will help me get the results I'm looking for.

supercharged
12-30-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree, I've been working on my Volvo for the past week and it's a small four dor vehicle and I have

Washed - Clayed - Washed - Polished - Washed

It is my first detail and using the products but I find that this will help me get the results I'm looking for.
Your neighbors must of thought that you are really crazy:D :cheers: .

Kelso
12-30-2006, 06:14 PM
i only wash one time... i wipe the car with a MF as i clay it. and use alcohol/water before sealing