PDA

View Full Version : How to clean McGuires carwash concetrate out of carpet (damaged in shipping/packing)...

Pages : [1] 2

Sonnie
03-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Got our very large order in from Autogeek (two boxes) and parked it near our back door entrance until I could figure out where to put everything. I did not realize it initially, but apparently the Meguiars carwash concentrate got squashed in packing or shipping and leaked all over our carpet.

http://www.snapbug.ws/images/carwash_leak_on_carpet.jpg

I am thinking it must have been packing since the box was not damaged. Apparently there was too much stuff packed into the box and it crimped the side of the container to where it creased the side and caused a leak on each side. I guess whoever does the packing just crams stuff in the boxes and does not pay much attention to anything else getting squashed.

Lost quite a bit of carwash concentrate too...

http://www.snapbug.ws/images/carwash_leak.jpg

Being that it is concentrate, I cannot begin to see how this is going to ever come up out of the carpet... and the wife is NOT happy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

fancyfootwork
03-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Meguiars**

Anyways. Do you have a shop vac or carpet cleaner? It will most likely take awhile but you can try those.

With a shop vac keep pouring water onto it. It will break it down enough that you can suck it up.

Just be glad it wasn't APC! That happened to me at my old apartment and I left a nice big green stain on the tan carpet :)

Sonnie
03-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah... we thought about the shop vac. It certainly won't hurt to try it.

Sorry about that spelling... wasn't even thinking about it.

SATMAN40
03-23-2011, 07:16 PM
You need a carpet defoamer, carpet guys will have some on the truck.or try some vinegar or salt water.

bova80
03-23-2011, 07:21 PM
ha i was getting megs apc+ for christmas and I guess it was wrapped upside down and well it some how leaked and got on my parents hard wood floor, lets just say the wood turned black and is probably ruined. lucky for my parents it's in an inconspicuous spot.

SATMAN40
03-23-2011, 07:26 PM
You can also bleach the wood, and then re stain the area.

Have rentals,

You are changing the ph of the shampoo..

AG may have insurance sounds like it is theirs or UPS's fault, may have a court case...of the bad case...

Flash Gordon
03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Is there anyway you can move a large piece of furniture over that spot?

PAR Detailing
03-23-2011, 08:03 PM

That is my favorite way to hide what I dont want others to see :dblthumb2:

Sonnie
03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
No hiding this... it is right as you walk in the door. We have done the water and shop vac for quite a while now, but do not seem to be getting past the suds and more suds. It isn't as dark right now, but not sure if it will dry out to match the normal color of the carpet.

aerogt01
03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
No hiding this... it is right as you walk in the door. We have done the water and shop vac for quite a while now, but do not seem to be getting past the suds and more suds. It isn't as dark right now, but not sure if it will dry out to match the normal color of the carpet.

It will take a LOT of water to break it completely down. For every 1 oz of shampoo in the carpet you should need at least one gallon of water. Make sure to use plenty of de-foamer if you can find it. I would try renting a carpet cleaner, or calling somebody. Spot repair isn't too expensive. . .

Bates Detailing
03-23-2011, 11:06 PM

If you have kids..... prop one over the stain to greet people into the house - not only are you covering the stain, but yo are making people think that your kids are polite :dblthumb2: Hope this helps :props:

richy
03-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Vinegar. Vinegar cuts soap. If I have a floor mat with nasty, nasty stains that I have to use a lot of soap on, after rinsing it out a lot and it's still sudsing, I use vinegar in a spray bottle. Vinegar will also cut suds in an extractor recovery tank as well. No need for expensive chemicals there. Especially on mats as soap residue will attract dirt and they will look terrible in less time than ever.

CrownKote
03-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Call your local Chem-Dry! I worked for Chem Dry for years and honestly if they can't get a spot out no one can without damaging your carpet... they carry defoamer as well as a protectant that will seal the carpet and resist things like this from being permanent...

Sonnie
03-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys... they are much appreciated.

I think I will try the vinegar this evening and see if it will help remove a bit more of the spot. It is still holding soap because it is not drying and the spot is still evident.

Flash Gordon
03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I would call a profesional carpet cleaning service, then send the bill to UPS

FEDEX would've never made this kinda mistake