PDA

View Full Version : Meg's Hyper vs. Silicone Free vs. Water Based dressings

rockford33
03-23-2011, 02:22 PM
I tried a search, but the forum isn't cooperating with my computer right now (can't view any posts), so hopefully this has not been covered.

I am putting together an order an was thinking of adding some different tire dressing to my arsenal (personal cars only) and a different technique. I have read good things about Meg's Hyper Dressing, but when I was on AG I noticed that they also have Silicone Free and Water Based, all in gallon sizes. Hyper was the most expensive, Water Based was the least, at 1/2 the price of Hyper (and roughly the same price as my 32 oz bottles of Opti-Bond Tire Gel and BnB).

What I am looking for (and this gets to the technique) is something water based, won't sling, and that I can cut/dilute. I am thinking of getting a small HVLP detail gun to apply dressing to my tires and wheel wells (among other projects). I would like something dilutable so I can have a higher gloss on the tires, but really cut it and be a more matte finish on the wheel wells (plus use less product but still get them black). I don't need the tires to be super glossy (but not opposed to it if it doesn't sling), I am fine with a matte sheen.

Longevity would be nice, preferably at least a week (with no rain) so I only have to re-apply on the weekends. I am sure that all of them will most likely wash off if it rains, and these would be for daily drivers.

Any experience with these 3 different dressings (and what is the difference really?) is appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil

Dr Oldz
03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I can comment on the hyper dressing only. It can be diluted from 1:1 to 4:1 with water. 1:1 having the most gloss. So depending what look you like it can actually make from 2-5 gallons of product. It will give you about a week of durability and if allowed to sit for about 20 min, it will dry and not sling.

fredcandetail
03-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Hyper Dressing raaaawks! But M40 is better ... Water Based Dressing really blows .. really
I did two tires both scrubbed with APC and then dressed ... both got 5 sprays on the applicator and dressed and after 120 miles in 5 days M40 still looked fresh