PDA

View Full Version : Any advantages to the 3401 over rotary/dynabrade?

CCC4me
03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
With all the good reviews I'm reading on the Flex, it piqued my curiosity. Right now I'm using my Hitachi rotary with a Dynabrade random orbit attachment and digging the hell out of the combo.

Any benefits to the Flex that I'm missing with my combo?

C. Charles Hahn
03-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I too have the Dynabrade polisher, and find myself not using it as often as I reach for my Flex or my Porter Cable. The main thing I find that the Dynabrade has difficulty doing is working in intricate tight spots where the tool doesn't have a ton of room to move with its very large stroke.

The Flex's smaller stroke also, at least for me, seems to do a better job at final polishing and refining a finish. That said, the Dynabrade does do a great job at fast cutting on larger panels.

Joe@Superior Shine
03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
I love my dynabrade!!! There is no bigger or badder DA set up. Yes getting into tight areas takes another machine but to wipe out swirls and other paint defects on larger areas such as hoods, deck lids, roofs....I reach for the DYNABRADE!

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1754/mf2_dyna.JPG

C. Charles Hahn
03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Joe, is that one of the MF cutting discs you're using in that pic?

Joe@Superior Shine
03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Yes, that is the 6 inch cutting disc.

CCC4me
03-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Do you often use the MF discs on the Dynabrade? So many people are stating their preference for a non-forced rotation ("traditional") DA with the MF, I'm a bit hesitant to make the investment on the new pad system. I asked you a bit over on your Zero to hero thread, so I'll look for the answer in either place.

Joe@Superior Shine
03-23-2011, 11:13 PM
I always use a MF system with my dynabrade!!

CCC4me
03-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Ok, let me ask a different question. Is the Dynabrade your polisher of choice for the MF system?

edit: nevermind, I re-read one of your above posts and answered my own question:(

richy
03-24-2011, 06:40 AM
I love my dynabrade!!! There is no bigger or badder DA set up. Yes getting into tight areas takes another machine but to wipe out swirls and other paint defects on larger areas such as hoods, deck lids, roofs....I reach for the DYNABRADE!

I completely agree about the Dyna! It is a powerful machine with so much torque. I switch to smaller bp's to get into smaller areas. I generally use it for the whole detail. Last year when I got carpal tunnel, I started using my DA more for the LSP steps that I usually just did by hand.