PDA

View Full Version : Can you help explain this?

Pages : [1] 2 3

CurlyCara
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I understand the differences but what is the benefit of having a rotary over a DA? Or having both?

Ted S.
03-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Time.

Old Tiger
03-22-2011, 08:32 PM
With the new Megs MF DA system, it appears the cutting ability has been narrowed considerably. The DA iss safer for an amateur like me.

joshman1204
03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Rotary removes clear at a much faster pace than a DA polisher. This means a rotary will not only level imperfections and sand scratches faster than a DA but it will also burn through the clear coat much faster than a DA if you are not careful.

Having both can be a very good approach. The rotary is great of using a compound to remove scratches or to level some very bad paint but it can be very difficult to leave a perfect finish on a dark colored car with a rotary. Even with all the right products and techniques there are some cars that just cannot be finished to perfection with a rotary. This is where a DA comes in. A final polish on a DA will almost guarantee a hologram free finish no matter what the color of the car.

bus3
03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Rotary removes clear at a much faster pace than a DA polisher. This means a rotary will not only level imperfections and sand scratches faster than a DA but it will also burn through the clear coat much faster than a DA if you are not careful.

Having both can be a very good approach. The rotary is great of using a compound to remove scratches or to level some very bad paint but it can be very difficult to leave a perfect finish on a dark colored car with a rotary. Even with all the right products and techniques there are some cars that just cannot be finished to perfection with a rotary. This is where a DA comes in. A final polish on a DA will almost guarantee a hologram free finish no matter what the color of the car.

Do you know if the new Flex PE14 is any better at finishing with a hologram and swirl free finish? I just purchased the new flex and I'm thinking about returning it.

dad07
03-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Do you know if the new Flex PE14 is any better at finishing with a hologram and swirl free finish? I just purchased the new flex and I'm thinking about returning it.

You cannot return that flex.......send it straight to me I'll dispose of properly!:D

James K
03-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Why would you want to return the Flex? I love my Flex rotary, and I don't even have the PE14. Finishing down hologram and swirl free comes down to technique and product/pad selection. You can get a nice finish with a rotary and the right pads/polishes. However, it is much easier to do with a DA, IMO. I would not get rid of the Flex, but you might want to invest in a DA for the finishing polish. A nice rotary, and you purchased a VERY nice one, is a very nice tool to have.

Now with that being said, if I could choose just one tool, it would be a GG DA. Powerful, controllable, and with the new advances in products and pads, cuts well.

dad07
03-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Why would you want to return the Flex? I love my Flex rotary, and I don't even have the PE14. Finishing down hologram and swirl free comes down to technique and product/pad selection. You can get a nice finish with a rotary and the right pads/polishes. However, it is much easier to do with a DA, IMO. I would not get rid of the Flex, but you might want to invest in a DA for the finishing polish. A nice rotary, and you purchased a VERY nice one, is a very nice tool to have.

Now with that being said, if I could choose just one tool, it would be a GG DA. Powerful, controllable, and with the new advances in products and pads, cuts well.

:iagree: Love the Groits!

James K
03-22-2011, 09:24 PM
:iagree: Love the Groits!

I want one bad! Mike teased me and let me play with one. Made my PC look like a peewee football player trying out for the Green Bay Packers. :( I am going to buy one and make my PC a full time 3" machine.

dad07
03-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I want one bad! Mike teased me and let me play with one. Made my PC look like a peewee football player trying out for the Green Bay Packers. :( I am going to buy one and make my PC a full time 3" machine.

My groits has the 5" bp and my pc has 3" bp love it this way and it will stay that way!

James K
03-22-2011, 09:29 PM
My groits has the 5" bp and my pc has 3" bp love it this way and it will stay that way!

See, that is exactly what I want to do. Argh. You are making me want to spend more money!!!!

bus3
03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I will just have to practice with this machine a lot to figure it out. Thank you guys for all the help.

Old Tiger
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM

and the GG waranty is the best for an enthusiast too!

dad07
03-22-2011, 09:34 PM
See, that is exactly what I want to do. Argh. You are making me want to spend more money!!!!

James I think we :hijacked:From Cara but hey its only money and you can't take it with ya......so spend it I'm sure AG will love it! :laughing:

jlb85
03-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Finishing down hologram and swirl free comes down to technique and product/pad selection.

^This!

Rotaries work the polish slightly different, and generally the dual action can be more gentle at the extreme. Just like the rotary can be more aggressive at the other extreme. In the middle, though, both work fine. And they work more similar than most people would like to think! Risk aversion aside, I bet most members here would be fine with a rotary after using the PC as they learn to look for the same things using either machine when polishing. Or should I say that using the PC will, in essence, help you be able to learn the rotary much quicker and safer, and vice-versa. I learned on the rotary first, never was an issue, and after years of polishing as a hobby found the PC to have a learning curve as well.

Of course having both is the best option if money is not an issue as each requires their own set of backing plates and sometimes pads.

The PC is much more versatile for the cause, though, as we (as in enthusiasts DIYers) generally tend to do more work in the "gentle" realm; light polishing, waxing and sealing, etc.