PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation on Brushed Aluminum Trim.

bigaizsosexy
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a detail for a 2008 Auto A4 IS and have a concern on how to approach the issue. The vehicle has brushed aluminum trim around the outside windows and above the doors. The aluminum trim seems to have moderate oxidation and I've tried a few different products, but none have been successful. ( Mothers Metal Polish and a few other brands) My next step was to clay bar the trim......
Any other Ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

cobalt9123
03-22-2011, 06:45 PM
What brands of metal polish have you tried? I'm kind of doubting that claying will help in this situation, but you never know.

bigaizsosexy
03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
I've tried Mothers Metal Polish, DP High Performance Glass Restorer ( which Stated to work on oxidized and cloudy metal surfaces) and one more I purchased at an auto show, but I can't remember the name. Any thoughts? P.S. The clay bar didn't work.

bigaizsosexy
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Anyone ever use Optimum Metal Polish 8oz. New Formula! ?

Lasthope05
03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but the aluminium trim pieces on audis/bmw are coated so there is no way to polish the metal without sanding or chemically stripping the coating off. Its a very common problem with these cars and there is no real fix for them besides getting new replacements, but the new ones will just cloud as fast as the originals.

Flash Gordon
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but the aluminium trim pieces on audis/bmw are coated so there is no way to polish the metal without sanding or chemically stripping the coating off. Its a very common problem with these cars and there is no real fix for them besides getting new replacements, but the new ones will just cloud as fast as the originals.

True that :iagree:

Besides, there meant to have a dull looking finish

bigaizsosexy
03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Thank you for your explanation!! Doesn't surprise me that they would coat the aluminum trim.
I know they are suppose to look dull, but they are cloudy and the member above clearly explained the reason.

Thanks everyone for your answers!

Thanks,
Andrew

Flash Gordon
03-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Thank you for your explanation!! Doesn't surprise me that they would coat the aluminum trim.
I know they are suppose to look dull, but they are cloudy and the member above clearly explained the reason.

Thanks everyone for your answers!

Thanks,
Andrew

You could still hand polish them with a cleaner wax. This will help get rid of that hazy look

bigaizsosexy
03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Appreciate it guys!!!

bigaizsosexy
03-25-2011, 09:40 AM
I also Have some Pitted Chrome on my Lincoln Aviator......I think the pieces need replacing but any suggestions?