PDA

View Full Version : Used car - was a Smokers

pixelmonkey
03-22-2011, 10:59 AM
My wife and I purchased a subaru forester with black leather a few years ago. When we first sat in the car, i knew i would spend a few weekends cleaning out the smoke smell of the previous owner(s).

I have since removed the carpet and pads, pressure washing them using simple green apc. The headliner of the car was misted with Febreeze and leather was cleaned with Lexol cleaner and followed with lexol conditioner.

The carpet and pad was allowed to dry completely before re-installing.
The cabin filter was replaced with a new OEM.

The car still smells like smoke to me!

I've searched the forum and found an option would be using parts of this thread.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/29139-dakota-odor-bomb-trick.html

I used my shark steamer on portions of the carpet in the rear hatch that could not be removed *easily*

I'm going to try the Dakota Odor Bomb this weekend or next.

open for suggestions.
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

SeaJay's
03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Careful with the Dakota bomb. If you search the forum you'll find that it sprays with a good amount of pressure, so it will hit your headliner. I forget who but someone posted what they did to ensure this didn't happen. I believe they took a box and put a bunch of holes in it and put it over the canister.

You may also want to take your steamer and steam the vents. Also, I'd suggest getting some carpet & upholstery cleaner, spraying that on the carpets that you couldn't take out and agitate with a brush, then shop vac.

DLB
03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I have successfully used concentrated scents (such as Dakota Odor Bombs) to remove smoke smells from vehicles, but you can over do it.

Since it is your vehicle, you will have the chance to try again if it doesn't work, so you don't want to over do it. Hence:
Each Odor Bomb treats 6000 cubic feet, or the size of a typical hotel room.

What I typically do is be careful not to fully depress the nozzle so as not to lock it on, and give the interior about 5-6 short bursts. Seal it up and let it sit for as long as you can, then ventilate it for as long as you can outside in the fresh air. If you want it to circulate through the vents of course you will need to run the vehicle for a while.

I have polished a car out before while letting it sit sealed up and the smell be gone by the time I was done.

I have never let one sit and run for over 15 minutes at a time with about a 45 minute cool down in between. Typically I do this at the beginning, and again at the end of the cycle so as not to open the doors too much and let it escape.

DLB

Flash Gordon
03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
I make my own Odor Bombs, that I assure you will coverup that cig stench

Definately clean the headliner and visors very throughly as cig smoke rises and thats where your odor will get trapped the most

Also, if you have access to an Ozone Air Purifier, I would go that route. I would let it run with your doors shut overnight

If all else fails, jam a 1/2 dozen watermelon air freshners under the seats

SeaJay's
03-22-2011, 01:16 PM

I hope this was meant as a joke....cause that's damn funny! :laughing::laughing:

Flash Gordon
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
I hope this was meant as a joke....cause that's damn funny! :laughing::laughing:

Yea, but its a real pain in the butt trying to bottle it up :bolt:

RLove
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Did you change out/clean the cabin filter? My used car purchase smelled of cigarettes and all it took was blowing out the cabin filter. I thought that I'd have to replace it, but that did the trick.

SeaJay's
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Yea, but its a real pain in the butt trying to bottle it up :bolt:

:wow:lol

pixelmonkey
04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
the odor bomb took 95&#37; of the smoke odor away!

have some So2pure coming friday and will hit a few more spots. that product was made for the Forester with it's massive sun roof.

the odor bomb was set off atop a plastic lid for a Rubbermaid storage tote. was approx 16"x24", mostly flat, with a 1" lip to contain any over-flow.

ever seen the looks of your neighbors as you go psycho on a box, stabbing holes into it with a ball point pen? i said "Hello" after the look, so all was well.

seats are to be treated this weekend with leatherique rejuvenator oil. i feel a portion of the smell might be trapped in the seats.

i'll post some photos and info of the results in this thread.
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

richy
04-19-2011, 11:40 AM

Definately clean the headliner and visors very throughly as cig smoke rises and thats where your odor will get trapped the most

Also, if you have access to an Ozone Air Purifier, I would go that route. I would let it run with your doors shut overnight

If all else fails, jam a 1/2 dozen watermelon air freshners under the seats

Yes, and you have to pull his finger to ignite the bomb!!!

To the OP, buy yourself some SoPure. Spray it on every surface in the car. Open the windows a bit and park it outside in the sunshine. This product needs light to activate it. This will solve your problem. It's an amazing product.

malachi0420
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
i am a smoker myself, and I have tried everything to remove smoke oder from my home and cars. By FAR the easiest way to remove smoke smell is to use a product called "autoVACCINE/autoSHOCKER Quick Release" by Biocide Systems. It comes in a clear plastic cup+pouch. Just fill the cup 1/4in with water, and put the pouch inside the cup. With all windows rolled up, place the cup in the center of the car and leave it there for 12hrs. Kills all smells including vomit, also kills mold, and dust mites. Nothing else comes close. A friend of mine who sells real-estate told me about the product, they use it in all newly sold homes and apartments. Leaves no residue or film, and will not harm electronics.Im the MAN

catfish07
05-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I just got my order of AutoShocker from Biocide.. I can't wait to use it to see how well it works. I have a 2010 BMW that the customer wants the smoke out of since he quit smoking.. I hope I can get the chance to try this product out.. if so I will buy a bunch to keep in the trailer.

Sunshyne
05-14-2011, 05:47 PM
the reviews on amazon are mixed on AutoShocker

might order it myself to try